Seriously thinking about quitting

Hello ladies

Excuse me while I have a bit of a vent. Lol

I have listed 4 babies for sale on Etsy and reborns and none of them have sold. I know the market is flooded. I get that.
I set my prices reasonable.

I’m just kinda over it

I have had so many time wasters. One woman spent 2 days emailing about a custom and then said she used the picture I sent her to find another person to make it cheaper. So she was going with that one

I am just so done.

3 Likes

I really don’t think I have anything encouraging for you right now. I totally understand how you’re feeling. As long as my hobby supports itself, I’m going to continue because I love it. If you find that you are not loving it, you may need to take a break from it to “regroup”. The reborn market is so unpredictable. You’re next baby may sell quickly. :woman_shrugging:t3: Who knows. There is no rhyme or reason.

6 Likes

If you enjoy the hobby then it would be a shame to give it up completely. I went off reborning for a couple of years but kept all my equipment and have recently got back into it and now I can’t get enough. There are always customers who put you off or let you down. I had one who asked me to custom order Saskia but as soon as I ordered and paid for the kit she changed her mind and went elsewhere just like your customer. Don’t reborn if it becomes a chore, maybe take a break and the love will return.

3 Likes

I personally love the artistic process of reborning and I spend hours perfecting details until I pass my own ‘realness tests’. I enjoy the struggle (sort of) and so far I have only reborned for my own personal collection. This also seems to have made me do my best work, since I’ll be the one living with it.
I think it sounds like you need a rest from the commercial side of the hobby; find a kit you super love and put all your effort into creating it just for your very own self; it will reassure you that your talent is worth it and in the meantime you may even sell one of the other dolls!

If you’re having trouble selling, also, check the quality and the styling of your photos. I don’t know what yours look like but I have seen a range of types of photos of reborn auctions and the ones that do well have photos in good lighting with the baby posed in baby seats/prams and posed naturally, etc. Some people just lie them on their backs like a child has just dumped them on a bed and it looks weirdly unrealistic!

I copy Silvia Ezquerra, Sabrina Hergaten and Jacqueline Kramer when I play with/pose my dolls. They have an excellent use of props, lighting and styling.
good luck!!!

5 Likes

The market is so flooded right now. Just hold out a little longer and things will hopefully turn around! Once your doll gets rotated off the front page of just born on reborns.com… It disappears into an abyss of babies. After that it is unlikely
to be seen :weary: In my experience, once my dolls have been rotated off, I don’t get anymore interest at all! And my last baby was only in the just born section for one day. So I understand where your coming from!

2 Likes

I just looked at reborns. It says there are over 3,800 babies listed. Wow. With those numbers, I should be extra grateful to have sold anything!

Hopefully things will turn around. It’s weird. Nothing sells, then suddenly everything sells and people email you about sold babies. No rhyme or reason. Hope this is how it goes for you.

Other than that, maybe a break would be good. I think I’m going to take a small one after finishing up whatever is on my work table. Maybe spend some time on other things, then definitely clean and organize my dolly room which is a total wreck right now… With customs (friends of one lady keep ordering all of these), I’ve been painting like a maniac and I have to tell you that it’s felt a bit like a job, less like a hobby, so a break should help some here.

3 Likes

My first couple of years I sold everything by word of mouth. I stayed busy and sold a lot fortunately. I’m not in this to get rich by any means but find the outlet for Artistic expression to be the best fit for me.
Sometimes even reborning isn’t enough so I take a small step back until that overwhelming urge to reborn hits me again.

3 Likes

I know how you feel, just take a break. I find doing costumes is very stressful. A year ago I was ask to so two dolls and even though the ladies were not demanding I felt so much pressure and at the end hated the dolls. Since then the only costume orders I take is from a returning client I have any one else that contacts me I turned them down. I sell to buy material for more not for money. I won’t lie to you it feels good when you make a couple $100 but the market is so unstable that I just try to make sure I make enough just to by more kits.:grin:
I only paint when I want and what I want. Like many of the nice ladies said if reforming is not making you happy just take a break. Take a step back and remember why you started to reborn and go back to what you loved about reforming in the first place.

Another thing like someone mention try to change the pictures. Sometimes something as simple as a clothe change can make all the difference. I just sold one that I had dress a baby for a long time but decided that he wo hiild look better in a more mature outfit posing like a bigger child and he sold 3 days after I posted the new pictures.

1 Like

Well, I’m not in this for the money. If I were I would be living in a box on the side of the road. Lol!!!

I’ve been in and out of reborning for over 10 years. I sold the most when doing custom dolls. But I absolutely hate custom work. I get people who want me to replicate 20 thousand dollar silicone prototypes for 400$ lol!
So this past year I dropped the customs and just started making my own way.

So now I just get endless time wasters. Its frustrating. Particularly competing with people who literally give there dolls away for less than the cost of materials just to say they sold one

Just for reference. Here is some of my work

Its not that I dont love reborning. I do.
I’m just frustrated :disappointed:

7 Likes

I would do this even if I never sold a baby. It’s my true passion. However, I do like it when someone buys one and I can use the money. I sell on reborns.com, at doll shows and get orders from taking them out with me and bringing business cards. I was very self conscious when I first started doing that, but I’m over it. It’s really fun.

4 Likes

I could try bringing them out

1 Like

Now I really don’t want you to give up. That first picture is Macy right? I didn’t like her until I saw yours. Just take a break, but don’t stop. You make beautiful babies. :blush:

2 Likes

Yeah that is my Macy. :purple_heart: She is for sale in my Etsy shop. Thank you

3 Likes

She is adorable don’t get discorrage last year I did most of my sell right after Christmas. A lot of people get money for Christmas :wink:

2 Likes

I actually really like your Macey too.

Sometimes, too, all it takes is ONE customer to get the ball rolling… I sold a doll to what must be an extremely popular woman because I keep getting custom orders from her friends. Today I am chatting with one of her relatives about yet another custom order for next year. It is insane.

Hang tight. If you get just one customer like this, you will be busy for a while!

3 Likes

I sell all of mine online on reborns.com I could be wrong but I think the number of reborns listed is misleading and may include babies in the nursery that have already sold.
As for customs, when I do one the customer gets to choose the kit, gender, hair color, eye color and ethnicity. The rest is up to me. So far I haven’t had a problem but if the customer doesn’t like it when it’s done I’ll sell it to somebody else. I can’t be artistic with anybody trying to micro manage my work.

5 Likes

That is what pushed me to stop custom work. People wanted to micro managed and I felt suffocated and lost that creative spark. If that makes sense

4 Likes

I totally get it. That’s why I won’t do it. They get a picture when it’s done.

2 Likes

I do my customs exactly like @jeanhai does. I definitely talk to them and if they have a favorite color, I’ll try to include it in the clothing if I can, but other than that this is all they get to choose. I will also add any stork bites or birth marks… But this is it. The minute they start talking about another artist’s work, i suggest they contact that artist. I mean seriously, if I had the ability to paint like Silvia or some of these other artists, don’t you think I’d be selling my dolls for $$$$$$$$ like they do? :rofl:

2 Likes

i always found that from about early December till May it is very slow; I might sell one doll or 2 during these 6 months. I have sold several over the past few months, basically they sold the moment I listed them; they would get hundreds of views, dozens of watchers and be gone in under a week. In the same time there was one I kept relisting and she had not many views and no watchers.

But I had problems with last 2 dolls I sold; and I have not walked into my studio since, although I have there couple of dolls almost done, they just need the final coat or 2. The 1st buyer did not read the description and then tried to claim “not as described”, and while I was trying to deal with that, I had somebody hassling me wanting me to reduce price on a doll that was listed for only couple of days and had heaps of watchers, and when I blocked them, they sent a friend to ask. Fortunately, somebody else bought her :slight_smile:

I think I will not be doing anything over the summer either.