Sending Baby Home

When you send your babies home to their new mommies and daddies, do you wash their clothes first? I am worried about the dyes from the clothing staining the baby. What about if you include an extra outfit that is brand new? Do you leave the tags on it and just wrap it?

We use dye and scent free laundry detergent and if the outfit is dark (like so many of the Carters boy outfits) or may shrink I do wash them first. We have heard of customers who need their babies fixed because they end up with dark staining on their limbs due to the dark clothing. I also take off all tags. Sometimes I use vintage clothing or I have to find exactly what I want for a baby on ebay and it is gently used. I state that in the auction and have never had a customer that had a problem with it.
All blankets, and clothing are newly washed (and ironed if necessary) before photo session and being boxed up. :smile:

2 Likes

That’s what I meant. The darker colored clothing such as navy and black clothing. I just don’t want it to bleed onto the doll.

You will definitely get permanent stain on your vinyl from dark colour dyes, especially if the doll is left in the outfit for a while and in an area where it gets warm-ish…I live in Australia (Oz as we call it here.) and we have extreme heat in the summer. I have a toddler that I dressed in a little black and grey outfit and left him in it for about 4 months. When I recently went to change him, he has black rings at the wrist where the black bands of the long sleeved shirt sat. He has never been wet so it can bleed onto your vinyl with out water being a factor and it is probably permanent damage though I have not tried to strip it back. - I know better than to have done that too as it is one of the points I have on my care instructions that go with my adopted babies…:frowning:

1 Like

You will definitely get permanent stain on your vinyl from dark colour dyes, especially if the doll is left in the outfit for a while and in an area where it gets warm-ish…I live in Australia (Oz as we call it here.) and we have extreme heat in the summer. I have a toddler that I dressed in a little black and grey outfit and left him in it for about 4 months. When I recently went to change him, he has black rings at the wrist where the black bands of the long sleeved shirt sat. He has never been wet so it can bleed onto your vinyl with out water being a factor and it is probably permanent damage though I have not tried to strip it back. - I know better than to have done that too as it is one of the points I have on my care instructions that go with my adopted babies…:frowning:

Unless they are vintage clothes, everything I send home with the baby is new. I leave the tags attached whenever possible but occasionally I have to remove them if I can’t hide them when I do the photo shoot. I do not leave them on the hangers. Instead, I fold them and wrap them in tissue paper. Unless they are vintage clothes, I do not wash them. I love to put 19th century Christening gowns on my babies and those always get washed.

I wrap everything I send so it doesn’t touch the baby and I wrap the baby too. I think from now on, I may dress them in very light colored clothing as well. I would hate to have this happen. I wonder if that’s what happened to my Tibby. I had to get her new legs because of a permanent stain. I have never found the source of it.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will for sure wash all the darker colored clothing before sending out any babies.

2 Likes