Rooting lamp Help

Has anyone had luck finding a decent rooting lamp? Grrrrr! Age and my thumbs do not play well with rooting… Any help or advise is warmly welcome

1 Like

I don’t heat my heads at all. I fill them with polypellets up to the neck and pack them tightly with paper towels. It keeps the vinyl from ‘giving’ so the hair goes in easily. It works well for me. I almost never break a needle with this method. When I’m finished rooting I pour the pellets out and re-use them. Do you use a rooting tool or just an uncut needle?

2 Likes

I use both…I will try your suggestion, thank you

1 Like

There’s a product called Insta Morph moldable plastic beads that you can use to mold around a needle to make a tool that fits you just right. It seems like it would be ideal for uncut needles and people with arthritis or hand issues. You just heat the beads in hot water and mold them to whatever thickness you need. I haven’t tried them yet, but I just ordered some from Amazon.

2 Likes

This is the one I use! I love it. It’s adjustable. I just leave it in while I am rooting. Turn it off when the head gets warm and on once totally cool.

The downside is that one bulb will probably only last one head before it blows.

I tried the rice sock method ONCE but it caused my hair to almost burn or something.

4 Likes

I just use a rice sock. I just learned that most people put it inside the head, I guess? I’ve never done that, I just place it on the head in the spot I’m rooting and take it off once the vinyl is hot. It usually stays warm long enough to get a good chunk done but I root fast.

I order my (pack of 2) on amazon for $12 and I love it. It has controllable switch, so if you feel that vinyl is getting too hot you can always reduce the heat.
You need to watch out not to leave full powered bulb too close the the vinyl. It might melt. This is why I love the dimmer switch.

2 Likes

I use the same lamp as the girls above. Highly recommend it–

I have a question about these heat lamps. When using them you don’t fill the head with a rice sock, so the vinyl must give as you are pushing the needle through. I find it difficult to root when the rice sock shifts a little and the head starts to give. How hard is it to root with nothing in the head and the vinyl bouncing up and down with every push?

I am not an experienced rooter (two full piglets heads and 4 combi hair heads), so maybe someone will give you a better answer. I didn’t noticed much of the vinyl ‘bounce’. I am not stubbing the hair into it, I am just gently grabbing and pushing it in.
I even think that if needle constantly will hit the sock with rice or pellets, would it get dull fast?
Again, my experience is very rudimental. But I like the softness of the vinal that hit lamp creates.

1 Like

I don’t fill the head with anything. I never had any issues with the head giving or anything. Needle typically just slides through the head like butter lol

3 Likes

I use an infrared clamp lamp (like the kind used to keep livestock warm) and I clamp it above where I am working. If you don’t mind the warmth, it works great. I’m always cold, so to me it’s a win-win!

2 Likes

I thought about the rice dulling the needle. I’m guessing it probably does. I might try this heat lamp thing.

Speaking of needles, look how bent this one is. I finished half a head and then went on to do another that is almost complete all with this needle. Call me cheap but I just can’t bring myself to throw out a needle until it breaks. I keep waiting for it to break and it won’t. Haha!

4 Likes

See the 2nd post. I use air dry paints. I’ve never heated a head. I have concerns about rice residue attracting bugs. Heat lamps can melt the vinyl accidentally and ruin the head. Personally, I wouldn’t take the risk but many people do.

1 Like

Haha! I’m the same way. There’s no point in throwing it out till it breaks. I dropped mine on the floor and this happened.

1 Like

I have found that the polypellets actually don’t dull the tips and, except for forked needles, the barbs are on the sides.

2 Likes

@RebornReflections @Claire I am the same way :wink:

I’m not exactly sure what causes heat lamps to melt heads but I am VERY cautious & which is why I also use the one with the dimmer dial. This is probably why it took me so long to get one. I saw a few melting heads BUT the salt lamps are a lot different now most come with the adjustable dials.

I always remove it when I am not rooting. Double check to make sure it all the way off when the head had gotten warm enough. Typically the opposite or side that against the pillow or what have you is hotter. I always check and make sure that it is too hot and at risk of melting. The heat lamp CHANGED my life lol to be honest. I always rooted without one until probably 2-3 heads ago.

1 Like

I rooted 3 heads with a bent needle once… threw it away (even though it still worked…)
The new needle snapped after rooting a couple inches… :frowning: lol
I was so mad

1 Like

I used this one with a 15 watt bulb. It worked with my newborns. I have to see if it fits my preemies :woman_shrugging:t4: