Rooting Hair

Is it possible to use the hair rooting tool and needles to root hair in one of the cloth bodies-more specifically, I am wondering if I can root hair on the body for Bindi/Binki Orangutan. If I cannot use the tool offered on the Bountiful Baby website, is there another way to do this? All input appreciated.

I am thinking maybe if you could find someone to sew a body for you using fur fabric? You know how at like Joanns they have the fabric that looks like fur? Other than that I am not sure.

— Begin quote from “kathrynpgadomski”

I am thinking maybe if you could find someone to sew a body for you using fur fabric? You know how at like Joanns they have the fabric that looks like fur? Other than that I am not sure.

— End quote

That’s what I was thinking! Make a new fur body

Here was my thought, I was going to make a grinch baby but wanted to root hair in the body so I was going to make a special body with clear vinyl inside as a liner and root through the body and that, then seal it inside to the vinyl. Does this make sense? Just an idea

It sort of makes sense but why? Just curious.

Rooting thru cloth is not going to give you anything but a mess and a headache. You will snag the fab., the stuffing will follow the barb on the needle out, and it will just basically look awful. BUT getting some fur fabric and if you do not want it that thickly furry then you can just yank some the fur out before you cut and sew the body.

hope this helps…you have a neat creative idea for sure!
joy

I think making the body from mohair fabric would work best.

I also make mohair teddy bears and I use mohair fabric that is sold by the yard. You can get any color, any length and everything for curly to straight to matted to sparse. You can pluck or shave the fabric for any effect you want. You make your body by any pattern. I buy my mohair from Edinburgh Mohair. You can find them on the web.

Here are some pics:

This bears nose has been plucked bare:

This guy’s nose was shaved:

I dyed this mohair fabric myself using Rit Dye:

Your bears are amazing!! And I love your idea of using the fur fabric for the Bindi body!

The bears are so beautiful!

Wow…very nice bears! They are so cute! Do you stuff them to be soft and cuddle or more stiff and sturdy?

Your bears are beautiful!!!