Rooted hair rubbing out

As I root one side of the dolls head, the other already rooted side rubs out. I have glued as I went along and still have spots rubbing out. It’s to hard to root just to have it all rubbed out later. HELP!!!

What kind of mohair are you using? If you are using a lower quality mohair it may be breaking off. Are you pushing your rooting needle all the way into the head?

That hasn’t happened to me, but I did find that if I spray on conditioner as I complete a section and then place the head on a satin piece of fabric so that it doesn’t rotate around on my lap that the hair gets much less matted… Also, I think it tends to matt more if you root from the center than if you root from the cut end… I don’t glue until I am finished because I want to be able to add hair in areas that might need it… Good luck… hopefully someone will be able to give you a clue…

— Begin quote from “sugarbabiesnursery”

As I root one side of the dolls head, the other already rooted side rubs out. I have glued as I went along and still have spots rubbing out. It’s to hard to root just to have it all rubbed out later. HELP!!!

— End quote

I use the rudyred from bountiful baby. I have some from slumberland on it’s way in the mail. I root from the end and push my needle about a half of inch in the head. It does seem to break when rooting or most of the time, it goes in and comes out with my needle. Wish I could show you pics. She really is turning out great, regardless of the hair troubles. It’s just taking a long time I have 60 plus hours in her. Check out ebay sometime this weekend. You can see her if you want, (i’m naming her Rose Ember) I wil be listing her. my user Id is robinrosecreations. Let me know what you think and keep the comments coming they are very helpful.

— End quote

I use the rudyred from bountiful baby. I have some from slumberland on it’s way in the mail. I root from the end and push my needle about a half of inch in the head. It does seem to break when rooting or most of the time, it goes in and comes out with my needle. Wish I could show you pics. She really is turning out great, regardless of the hair troubles. It’s just taking a long time I have 60 plus hours in her. Check out ebay sometime this weekend. You can see her if you want, (i’m naming her Rose Ember) I wil be listing her. my user Id is robinrosecreations. Let me know what you think and keep the comments coming they are very helpful.

— End quote

I have only used Slumberland and Cher’s mohair, so I don’t know about Ruby Red… I push the needle all the way in the head (up to where the needle gets thick) and I think that is more than 1/2"… I use a 43G single barb needle which leaves a really small hole for the hair to stay in… Maybe your needle is too big??

I’ve only used the mohair from BB and haven’t had that problem yet. And I don’t probably push the needle in quite that far. I use a bigger guage needle (38g) and still only get one or two hairs per hole so maybe a bigger needle is needed. wish I could help more. I’m going to try a smaller needle today and will let you know if that gives me more problems.

I also use a 43 guage 1 barb needle from bb. I saw on youtube…rooting a difficult head, maybe mines a difficult head. I also have never had this trouble before. This is my eleventh head to root. I’m still a newbie!! But learning fast, I have learned more on this head than all of my heads combined

I also use a 43 guage 1 barb needle from bb. I saw on youtube…rooting a difficult head, maybe mines a difficult head. I also have never had this trouble before. This is my eleventh head to root. I’m still a newbie!! But learning fast, I have learned more on this head than all of my heads combined

— End quote

I also put a heated rice sock in the head to soften the vinyl!!! BUT it sounds like you just have a difficult head!!