Rice Sock!

You only need a rice sock on heads that are HARD vinyl.
If you need it…fill a sock with rice,knot it,heat it in the microwave with a cup of water alongside then put it in the head.Most kits will NOT need it.

I use my rice sock in just about every vinyl, I think it just makes it easier to get the needle in and keeps the vinyl from collapsing.

how long do you heat it? And how long does it stay warm (do you have to keep reheating)? I am rooting a Berenguer that has a little harder vinyl than kits do and I think this would help!

Thanks ladies!

Having a little heat while rooting will also help save you some broken needles!!

— Begin quote from “hickoryislander”

I use my rice sock in just about every vinyl, I think it just makes it easier to get the needle in and keeps the vinyl from collapsing.

— End quote

I ALWAYS use a rice sock for ALL my babies. When I’m getting ready to root, I make about 3 rice socks … when one is cooling down, I go ahead and hit the microwave button to start heating another one. I’ve never used water before, what does that do? I just throw the sock in the wave for about 2 mins. Non-stop rooting!

The cup of water stops the rice from burning (horrible smell!).
I always use a rice sock. I also stuff the neck with a piece of bath sponge to hold the rice sock firmly in place and reduce heat loss.

I also use them in every head I root.

I am going to try the rice sock. Can you tell me what kind of rice to use…Is the minute rice ok, or should i use regular?

Any old cheap rice will do.

I dont use a rice sock as I am worried that I well root in to the sock and then just pull out all my hard work when I remove the sock-Does that NOT happen? I do use rice sox for joint pain and ear aches ect and back pain in labor (for any PG Moms)LOLI do use a heat pad sometimes but boy do I get hot !!!

i actually think the mohair roots better with a rice sock and more hair is in the head for glueing later…

Oh, Yes!! Since I posted on here I have used the rice sock and I would not root without one now…I love it. I break less needles and it is so much easier. I heat it with a cup of water beside it for 2 -3 minutes and its ready. Will last for about 45 minutes then starts to cool, then have to reheat or have an extra one in the microwave to heat up, and ready to go. Happy rooting to all…BJ