Removing a smell from finished doll?

I’ve looked through the search and found some good ideas to remove a smell from a finished doll, but I still have questions lol. It seems a lot have said baking soda works well. Do I just leave the head with an open container of baking soda in an airtight container? Or do I actually pour the baking soda on/in the head? Any suggestions or tips are much appreciated! I just don’t want to harm the paint job on him.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Hope someone here can help you.

1 Like

What is the problem? He smells like paint? or what? What is the smell you are trying to get rid of?

1 Like

He has a weird smoky/mechanical smell. Not really sure how to describe it. I got rid of his body and stuffing but the vinyl still smells

1 Like

from baking? maybe just leave in a well ventilated area for awhile? otherwise maybe those moisture things they sell for basements or put in a tote with cedar balls or lavender that they sell for moths in closets?

1 Like

No it’s not from baking. I bought him and he came like this. The seller said he had a smell so I knew, I’m just trying to figure out how to get rid of it. I’ll try those!! Something has to work!

1 Like

A lot of the older vinyl’s have a harsh smell not sure what it is maybe the chemicals used but I know I have had several old ones that even after i cleaned and aired out once I painted and baked them the smell came right back. One of the older Auer kits I did smelled like Vanilla which was not bad, just odd. Really makes me wonder what they used to make the vinyl back then.

1 Like

That is really odd! Pleasant, but odd! This baby is Realborn Darren, so he is new. He was painted by Holly Paz and is amazing! I just wish the smell would go away. My mom said maybe charcoal? Has anyone tried that?

1 Like

My one doll smelled like cigarette smoke after I took her to my grandparents house so I put dryer sheets in her bassenet and under her onesie for a few days and the smell completely disappeared. I don’t know if it would work for this smell but it worked on one of the toughest-to-remove smells so maybe… Good luck! I hope you can remove the smell! :blush::blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

I just got a 1985 doll that someone gifted me to reborn in a You Tube video. At first it just smelled “old” but after several bakes it started to smell like history…I have a sensitive nose so it bothered me more than it might bother other people.

I put some scented oils inside the body, and it absorbed and really helped.

2 Likes

@Gabriell Well that is a good thing, glad you knew what to do! :smile: I hope you cover that topic in the video too! I have a bad habit of finding old dolls and not knowing what to do with them, so I leave them be so as not to mess them up. Like AG Abby I am so scared that I will mess her up by trying to clean her, the cloth body and her hair. So she is sitting on my dresser.

1 Like

Bumping this up again. Thank you all for your suggestions! I’ve tried multiple things and nothing has seemed to work yet. Trying to cover the odor, wash it off, get rid of it with baking soda and then even trying activated charcoal. Does anyone have any more ideas?? The charcoal seems to have worked a bit, but it still smells.

1 Like