Reese finished

After a disappointing craft show yesterday, I decided to take some outside shots of Reese, hoping to improve my overall outlook on life right now. I heard a lot of positive feedback, but there were so many negative comments, it just sucked the wind right out of my sails. Creepy, dead baby, ewww, it’s too real - these were the things people said that really hurt my feelings. Sorry for the vent, I just don’t understand why people like to turn good things, into something wicked. Anyway, I just love this kit, and I love painting them. He turned out so cute. I wish I could get the shine off his toes (the matte varnish didn’t hold??) and I may still work in his eyelashes and hair a bit more, but he’s done for now, and cute as a button!

13 Likes

He’s awesome. You have laugh the insults off. I think we’re all in agreement that “creepy” is a compliment because it means he looks real. “Dead baby” is just in poor taste. No comment on that one.

5 Likes

hes adorable!

2 Likes

I’ve never understood people who say reborns look dead - I’ve seen a lot of babies who are not alive, and they look VERY different. You did a beautiful job!! As discouraging as the negative comments can be, they were really all compliments. “Too real” is what we’re all aiming for here!!! :wink:

4 Likes

What a beautiful baby!

2 Likes

He’s so Cute!

1 Like

I don’t know what to say except that some people will do anything to hurt another person. And, then, some probably do it without even realizing how hurtful it is. Maybe they think we hear it all the time or something. Of course artist’s don’t hear that. I know it would have crushed me, too. Hope you can get your wind back in your sales and keep sailing on!

1 Like

My son is the head of the CSI department here, and I showed him the article about the doll that they thought was a dead baby. He laughed in the text he sent back. I said something about it. He said he has worked dead babies. That was obviously not a baby. So, I agree – they don’t look dead. But, they are not alive… When done correctly they look very much alive. Oh well. You guys all know what I mean. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do doll shows when I can and I put a pacemaker warning on the table. One woman came around the corner, saw my dolls, and said “eew, those are creepy.” Then she saw the pacemaker warning and said “and they can kill you, too.” I almost choked trying not to laugh. I take ‘creepy’ as a compliment because it means my babies look real. Fortunately for most people, they have never seen a dead baby.

5 Likes

Yep. I always take “creepy” as a compliment.

2 Likes

I don’t think they say these things to be hurtful. I think some people are unnerved by the realism of reborns.

1 Like

He looks awesome!
The ‘creepy’ or ‘dead baby’ comments are due to the uncanny valley. It bothers some people more than others. Their brain tells them it should be alive, but at the same time they know it’s a doll. When I was a kid I had the same problem with some mannequins or statues that looked lifelike.
You should definitely take them as a compliment; your reborn looks so real that it confuses their brain. :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I’m going to go ahead and list him on Etsy and possibly reborns.com.

2 Likes

Hes far from creepy. More like peaceful. Some people don’t practice the idea of thinking before speaking.

1 Like

I love Reese, I have one in my personal collection! Your’s is so sweet- Ignore the haters :slight_smile:

1 Like