Reborning an Ashton Drake Little Grace

Would anybody be able to help me on how to reborn an Ashton Drake full body vinyl anatomically correct baby doll? I have one that I got for doing that and realized that her limbs are held by some kind of elastic material unlike Berrenguers that are very hard to take apart but you can do that to Berenguers. I would love to reborn this baby but don’t have the faintest idea on how to go about it. Would anybody have information or can help me. I would so appreciate it.

I don’t know but I am posting because I am interested to know as well. I am sure someone will come along and help us out with the info

When I reborn the AD Grace, Charlie,etc. I split them down the middle and used their front and back as plates. You can then get the parts free from the body. Then I used a heat gun to warm up the openings of the arms and legs to pull out the string and button that is on the inside. Once that is all done don’t loose any parts because you will need them when you put it back together using a cloth body. Also you need to take everything out of the limbs and completely clean them. Then you are ready to start reboring. Hope that helps.

That is very helpful except that I want to keep her in one piece. Could you explain how to remove the arms and legs and head again? How would you put them back in? That is what I am afraid of.

If you want to keep her in one peice than the best thing to do is not take her apart. You can paint her and use a heat set gun instead of baking her in the oven. To take mine apart I always had to cut the sides of the bodies other wise I don’t think you can get it apart because of the string and buttons attached to the inside.

http://www.coochiecoobabies.com/graceinstructions2.htm

— Begin quote from “dmatthews”

When I reborn the AD Grace, Charlie,etc. I split them down the middle and used their front and back as plates. You can then get the parts free from the body. Then I used a heat gun to warm up the openings of the arms and legs to pull out the string and button that is on the inside. Once that is all done don’t loose any parts because you will need them when you put it back together using a cloth body. Also you need to take everything out of the limbs and completely clean them. Then you are ready to start reboring. Hope that helps.

— End quote

Dianna -

What style cloth body did you use?

Carmen

— Begin quote from “Lunchlady”

http://www.coochiecoobabies.com/graceinstructions2.htm

— End quote

Now THAT looks complicated!!! Have you done one?? Can we see??

When I found out that Ashton Drake dolls have vinyl that give off a toxic vapor when you reborn them, I decided not to do it, also, taking her apart, I would not want to ruin her. I am thinking of buying air dry paints for reborning for dolls like this. Is there anybody here that is familier with air dry paints? Do you dab the color on with a sponge like the genesis paints?

I use only air dry paints. Yes, I use a sponge and brushes to paint them. Basically, you use a sealant to seal the vinyl, paint them with air dry paints thinned way down and seal with an air dry varnish. I use mostly sponges but also have a stiff brush that I use with a little paint on it for mottling. It makes little specks like pores. There are some posts on it if you want more info or just ask. I can’t use genesis because of migraines from smells. I use the luminaires and also have their thinner and use water also to thin. I have a delta ceramacoat sealer that I thin with water and then use different varnishes to seal. Having to find out which leaves less shine. I have delta satin, luminaire sealant and a liquidtex I haven’t tried. So far the best combo is to seal with delta mixed half and half with water (which leaves sheen because it is satin) and then seal with luminaire sealant mixed again with water (which leaves less sheen but is rough unless diluted) It’s the easiest way to paint a doll you don’t want to take apart.