Reborn standard

Somebody mentioned in one of the other threads that there is not any standard by which to judge if reborn is good or not.
I thought that the sole criterion would be whether the doll could be mistaken for a real baby. The only question is how real it needs to be, and how judge it?
Well, lets say that for reborn to be considered
#1 - of excellent, collector’s item quality, you would have to touch it to be sure it is a doll. Every detail when photographed (in good light and good quality photo) would have to look so real that people would not be able to decide if it is real baby or reborn.

#5 - To be considered not good enough it would be obvious at 1st glance it is not alive, and details in photos would also not fool anybody. Badly done with lot of chalkiness, no depth of skin, hair looking like grandfather’s hairpiece that the dog played with for a while etc.

If we put, let’s say 3 categories in between #1 & #5, how would you define them?

And more importantly, how do you rate yourself?
I, after almost 5 years, would think most of my babies would be about grade #3, some could aspire to make it to #2.

1 Like

I would have to say I’m a 3/4. But just wait till I get the micro-rooting down and then look out. I’m going to shoot for a 2.

— Begin quote from “CaliMel”

This is a tough one to actually delineate, as even “realistic” or “real” are subjective terms in the reborn world. .

— End quote

My computer just crashed for the 4th time this morning; so i will try to post this as fast as I can, excuse any typos:

Of-course, it is subjective, but really badly painted/rooted doll will never look real; not even with fuzzy photos. It does not matter if doll is painted with peaches & cream or chocolate complexion, or the very detailed bruised and veined skin, if it is done well it will look real. Thick blobs of paint, blothces and veins that are obviously painted on top of the vinyl, eyebrows like a fluffy caterpilar, glossy lipstick lips, and chalky residue do not look real even from 20 paces