Reborn anxiety

I am 17 years old and I am currently saving up money for a reborn baby girl. I’ve always wanted one cause I am interested in roleplaying and always have been, really. Plus, I just love the idea of dressing them up, changing them, feeding them and putting them to sleep. I’ve heard of reborn’s when my boyfriend’s sister recently got into them as well. In my eyes, I don’t see a problem with it and neither does my boyfriend’s family. But, I told my nan I was saving up for a reborn doll and she told me that I had a problem and that there was something wrong with me.

So, is it wrong that I’m 17 years old, I love imaginative play and I want a reborn? I don’t think it is. I think as long as I know that it is a doll and not a real baby then I will be okay. I just worry about what other people will think about me if I do have a ‘problem’

What do you guys think?

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. It’s your life and life is too short to be worried about what other people think. Do what makes YOU happy :slight_smile:that being said if you ever need to talk im a message away :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for the positivity. I’m so grateful for people like you. :slight_smile: :wink:

I have found that some women around 55ish… view them as dolls no matter what artwork is done to it and that dolls are for small children. And that is their opinion before seeing the price tag. :wink:

I recently made my 17 yr old niece one. Not sure what all she does with it but she has one. lol

My mother has dementia but before it hit really strong there is no way she would have ever wanted one or ever bought one. She thought it was weird of me to paint them. She is 60.

What you do in your personal time is up to you. It isn’t like you are going to make your Nan babysit for you :wink:

I am 21 years old, and recently ordered my first reborn, so if there is something wrong with you, there’s definitely something wrong with me! The truth is, there is nothing wrong with either of us. Ask your nan if she would rather you be saving up for drugs or alcohol. I am blessed in that both my parents, and my oldest sister are supportive. But, my other two sisters and my mamaw are not. And because of that, I have chosen not to share my decisions with them when it comes to this hobby. That’s probably what you will have to do with your nan. And if she brings it up herself, I don’t think it would be disrespectful to tell her that you don’t want to discuss it with her, becau
se you’re doing nothing wrong.

Since telling my nan about it today, I have made no other plans to tell my direct family and leave my reborn at my boyfriends when I get it. My mum and dad will probably react the same way as my nan and I hate dealing with that since I do have bad anxiety. I just love the positivity I’m getting already! :heart: :heart: :heart:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. I too absolutly love this hobby and enjoy holding and dressing the babies. Holding one in the evening calms me. I am pretty sure the babies have more clothes than I do. :laughing:

My family loves the dolls as well. And I am very grateful for that. My dad has built an entire work area for my mom and me for reborning. But I also know some people don’t approve. My one Uncle for instance. When I go visit them - if I bring a baby - I have to keep him hidden away in my room because my Uncle regularly asks my Aunt if I am ‘ok’ if he sees the doll. But it is totally cool for him to collect toy cars and things like that. That is perfectly normal as far as he is concerned. Sigh

If you can overlook some people and just do what makes you happy - that is all you need. Brings to mind the poem ‘If’ by Rudyard Kipling.

Ignore people who condemn what you love. :slight_smile: I do hope​ you will follow through and get your baby and post pictures of him/her when you do.

Is your boyfriends family supportive of his sisters collection?

Yes they are very supportive. My sister-in-law (to be!) is 13 years old and is practically the reason I got into reborn dolls.

People have opinions no mater the circumstance… enjoy your dolls.

I see nothing wrong with it. Role play is fun and harmless! Sounds like your Nan is just being harsh. If you want to put her mind at ease a little, I would tell her one or both of two things:

One, its better than you having a real baby at 17 years old

Two reborns are great for your mental health, as for people like you and me with anxiety trouble, when we have a flare up it can be quite calming to cuddle with them and relax with them (at least that has been the case for me, and I have anxiety issues so bad they are medically treated with two different pills)

I’m happy you have that much support. I wish people like my two sisters and mamaw could understand that their condemnation doesnt make us want to quit our hobby, it only makes us want to stop sharing our lives with them. Or at least that’s the way I feel. They are so many horrible things that a 17 year old could be doing besides collecting dolls. Sheesh. Its so irritating. You have a good attitude.

Thank you for your kindness. Nothing is going to stop me from getting a reborn doll. I plan to name her Madeline Sky. Good name I know. :smile:

I’m also 17, and have been both reborning and collecting for almost 3 years.Some of my family, and especially my grandma’s friends think I have a problem, but I don’t let that bother me. I love them, so it doesn’t matter whether they approve o my hobbies or not! As others have said, there are so many worse things that we could be spending money on at 17! :slight_smile:

Nothing wrong with it. Some people just can’t grasp the concept of them. Heck I’m past 45. I have one that I change her clothes n do her hair. So if you wanna have one I say go for it.

I always loved dolls as a child and never really grew out of it. Turns out my mom loved dolls, too and we began collecting. I kept all of my dolls as a child and even got made fun of when I asked for a doll for my 12th birthday. My mom let me pick out what I wanted and told my brother and sister to leave me alone.

I, too, started saving my money when I was about 16 for a very expensive doll. It was a hospital mannequin and was very realistic. I waited about 11 months for it to arrive after I ordered it from Germany. There was a back log of orders because doll collectors like myself wanted them, even though they were intended for teaching people in the medical field. That was around 1982. I took her to school for my child development class and used her as a model for my photography class.

It really doesn’t matter what other people think. They need to live their lives and we need to live ours. I was a good kid with good grades. I never got into trouble. I went on to college, traveled a lot, got good job and have a full life.

It really is silly that people get all upset over something that is clearly positive in nature. It’s just a hobby like any other hobby. You are never too old to do something you love. And as Captain Kirk once said, “The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.”

I’ve been a doll collector my whole life and started reborning in 2002, I see nothing wrong with it at all! Oh, and by the way, I’m 61.

I say collect what you love. Live and let live.

Does she even know what they are ? Nothing wrong with liking dolls one of my grandmas loved dolls all her life.
My mom is 73 and Loved the baby i made her for Christmas. people like and collect all kinds of things …one persons trash is another ones treasure… I dont think you have a problem unless your pretending its a real baby . I can think of a whole lot of worse things to spend your money on.

I’m 25 and recently started making Reborn’s. Before I would have viewed them as odd but now I just love making them and the one that I have that I’ve made is so lifelike I can’t help but hold her like a real baby when I’m changing her outfit or taking pictures. There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just different. Enjoy your reborn and don’t worry about what others think. My friends think I’m nutty for my reborn making obsession but who cares.

I have always had a doll or two on display all of my life. I don’t role play or cuddle, I just change their clothes and admire them,lol. Like @kareninflorida I am 61 and have been reborning for 1 year. I have a few keepers, but I rotate them. Everyone has to be true to their own self. Do what ever makes you feel alive, because believe me they are and will not let you stop them. Enjoy your craft, we love to see babies here! Can’t wait to see yours!

@Meandmydollie what kit is that baby she is very cute!