Reborn A to Z course--worth the money?

Hello. My 13 year old daughter has started sharing my passion for reborning and wants to seriously look at this for the long term. She has created a business plan and has the investments of her parents, grandparents, and godparents to buy the materials she needs to begin.
Due to school commitments, we are unable to participate in doll show reborning classes and I would like her to be taught by someone other than me. I came across Shaylen’s course and I wanted to know if anyone has taken the course and successfully used the info obtained. Is it worth the investment?
Thanks in advance for your input.

2 Likes

I would look on YouTube first,…there are so many free tutorials online

8 Likes

What Robin said.

2 Likes

Just be aware that reborn like anything else is a fad. Very few artist can do this as income. Even the greatest artist have dry spells. Many artist branch into sculpting to make more money and that is still no guarantee. If she is going into this as a hobby to try to make some money then she will have better luck and much more enjoyment.

4 Likes

I agree with Robin. If you are 100% set on that course, you may want to try the spyglass on here and type in the name of the course or Shaylens name.

4 Likes

I personally learned from the free tutorials by Kim at CustomDollBaby.com her “Reborn With Me” Series On YouTube

13 Likes

I have the course n only followed it once. She shares a lot of infro, I paid 99,00 for it, I would first look at custom doll baby videos on YouTube. There’s another artist that has full videos, I think her name is Annette. I heard Shaylen course is like 400 something, I
Wouldn’t pay that much for her course,

6 Likes

I would also highly recommend having watch Gina’s videos for beginners. Plus she is a member here. :wink: @Gabriell

https://m.youtube.com/user/gabriellsbaby

10 Likes

Yes, me too!

2 Likes

Yes! Great set of videos!

OOOh! I am so gonna bake you a cake, thank you.

4 Likes

This is were I learned all the reborn basics and Kim has the sweetest voice, she is calm and is very clear with instructions. I can’t say enough about here series it is the most generous share ever…

and it is free.

8 Likes

I agree 100 percent, I am going to spend some time now watching your videos! Can I have a cake too :grin::laughing:

2 Likes

Use that money to buy supplies and kits now and save the extra for later because once she starts doing this she is not going to want to stop.
Youtube has lots of great videos on making reborns. St Cloud Nursery on Youtube has a great new set of videos especially for beginners. Very clear, step by step teaching that is easy to follow. The person who made these videos (@Gabriell) is a member of this forum and makes beautiful reborns…she knows how to break down the steps into an easy to follow basic method that will get your daughter started on the right track! I love cake, but I’m serious about checking out those videos. They are free and just what you are looking for.
The spyglass at the top of this forum is the place to find old posts about almost anything “reborn”. It’s a great place to get specific info. Enter a word or two that show what you want to learn more about or see and you’ll get lots of posts to research. Give her a few days to absorb as much info as possible and then plan on getting a few test limbs or inexpensive kits for her to test her materials and see what works for her. If she is going to do heat-set paints, bite the bullet and get a NuWave Pro oven with digital settings and the ring extension. Trying to save money on the oven you use will bring lots of frustration. I say this from experience, it took a few burned kits for me to spring for one but I’ve never been sorry I got it. Start her out with good equipment and good brushes and she’ll love the process and want to continue.
I’ve never seen the teaching program you are asking about, but I’m a firm believer that you don’t need to spend a lot of money on teaching videos when there is so much information already online for free! And on the off chance that she can’t find an answer to a question this forum is full of people who are more than willing to help someone trying to learn.

5 Likes

Watch videos first then see if she feels like she needs classes. I learned from Kim “Reborn With Me”. It’s free get her to watch them. Where do you live maybe someone in your area would work with her.

2 Likes

You crack me up, cake for everyone! cake is love.

OOOhhhh we should have a cupcake swap! We can all send each other our favorite cake in jars.

4 Likes

I would say don’t buy videos. The great majority of us learned from YouTube and this forum. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are funny.

Good advice, go slow, let her explore and use the resources readily available then ramp it up with classes and workshops taught by artists she connects with.

See above cake swap idea!

2 Likes

Ohhhhh I love cake :drooling_face:

2 Likes

When I started I purchased a few ebooks from REAL. They were very helpful. I would try some of the free Facebook groups though as well as This forum. I would say start on one kit and get some supplies to strip it if mistakes are made then just keep trying until she gets it to the point she likes it.

1 Like