? Question

Ok, I totally will! Thank you!’ :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

1 Like

You can do some blueing on the inner thighs and on the inside of wrists but you dont have to. If you’re just adding details of blue on the face, you won’t need to do a blue wash on the limbs.

2 Likes

And… My ultra marine blue should be arriving tomorrow! Yay!’ I am so excited to FINALLY. Try it!!!

1 Like

You’ll love it! :smile:

I’m off to bed now (it’s almost 1:30am!). :hushed:

1 Like

Sweet dreams Amy!!!

1 Like

Hi Nikki…The best way to decide about your bluish colours is to remember that when you see those colours it is usually where the skin is ‘thinner’…areas where there is less fat…that us why you see it across the bridge of the nose or in the little indents at the nostril corners, parts of the forehead, near the temples, etc…so if you are wanting to achieve that through your whole process you would d it on the limbs as well…for example around the back of the hill where it indents , under the edge of the shins, etc…just light amounts and a good alternative is to use the phthalo green. It makes a bit of a softer look and is more forgiving than the blues…Just remember that they will be darker once cooked so keep it thin…

2 Likes

HEAVEN HELP! My spelling is atrocious…sorry about that…I meant back of the HEEL not hill and there are several other typos…so please ignore…sure you will figure out what I was trying to say…AND if you do…please explain it to me cause I am confusing myself! :confused:

2 Likes

I paint all the parts together but I do not paint the limbs as many layers as the head. The face has a different skin than the limbs, it is much finer and more transparent, therefore face has much more detail.

3 Likes

Please, be careful with the blue wash. It has to be very thin, especially if have many layers done already as there will be less layers on top to blend it.

The inner hand in the depression of the hand (center) can use blue as well as under the feet in the arch where the skin is less pink. Had you done your veins yet? I usually do my veins then thin that paint way down to do the blue tones.

My entire baby gets done together for the stuff that is whole body, but I rotate my head and limbs so I can work on one while the other cooks, cools or flashes off. I mix enough to do the whole doll but occasionally I’ve run out and had to mix more. You get used to it - just compare to the leftover paint until it’s right.

Basically for me, these get done to everything: veins, bluing, mottles, flesh, creases, blush capillaries, stork bites or scratches (I add layers of lip color every time I blush or do creases). Then it’s time for nail tips, more lip work, brows and any hair whether just the wispy ones or whole head. Occasionally the cheeks need a touch more blush or some extra capillaries are needed.

Many of you are probably not going to like this opinion (ducks behind wall because of flying tomatoes):
OK, I love reborns as much as anyone, but I don’t think having a reborn is necessary for you to achieve a real baby look. It is nice, but who is to say what the quality of the painting would be. I don’t want to repeat someone’s mistakes. Also, just looking at the doll does not teach you how to get the same effect. I’d love to paint like some of the artists in the top ranges as their painting looks so real, but what I’m trying to create is the look of a real baby, not a doll. So having lots of pics of real babies or observing real babies really helps. That being said, pics of high end hair painting on reborns helps to give ideas as most real babies are not photographed well enough for us to see the whole hair pattern. OK, that is my humble opinion. (Wipes tomato guts off forehead)

4 Likes

No tomatoes! :wink: Much can be learned from someone else’s reborn. While it isn’t necessary, it can help calm an artist down by seeing one firsthand. When I bought mine, I thought she was perfect. I did use her as a reference. After I made a doll or two, I started seeing “issues” with her. I eventually took her apart and wasn’t happy with what I found. But by then, I had the skills to fix the issues.

I think having that reborn to reference helped me grow and learn this art a little faster.

2 Likes

I’m glad your doll helped you.

1 Like

You guys are amazing, I learned so much from this thread… Now to execute it! And Amy… Yes, I need a baby. I don’t know how to decide… I would want a very advanced one with all the bells and whistles! Lol I mean, a model to learn from!

I hear ya’! I’d love to have one of Pia’s! The one I got was a little Megan made by someone that I think is a fairly new reborner but she helped me a lot.

Another thing…when you buy one, you experience what your new mommies experience: the process of choosing, enduring the suspense of delivery day, and the box opening. You see how they pack, what items they include, etc.

2 Likes

I just spent all my dolly dollars on toddler class and supplies:-( maybe the class will help solve some of my issues. But, yes… I want a baby!!! But, I need to save up a bit:/( Some of the best things in life… I need more money to support my habit!!!

1 Like

I’ve already informed my hubby to prepare for a full-body silicone sometime in the future. He looked at me with a blank stare. :flushed: I’ll be saving for a long time for that purchase. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Maybe I’ll have enough socked away to get your next one Amy!!! :baby:t3::baby:t2::heart:

2 Likes

You’re too funny, Nichole! That’s so sweet. :blush:

1 Like

I could not say it better. :smile:
Of-course, I look at dolls, but for such things as hair pattern I look at babies. There are lots of babies in our supermarket, I tried to stand behind mother with baby at checkout, and studied how the hair pattern is. So, i have seen many different patterns of hair, but there are some tuts with hair patterns going round and round, which I have never as yet come across. As BEBE said, look at the real thing rather than a doll.

2 Likes

Thank you Amy - I am flattered and you made my visit to the forum BRIGHT! I think the Megan you got looks to be very well done!

2 Likes

I’m so glad to brighten your day! :smile: Your babies are always adorable!

Megan was done well for the most part. Her paint seemed to fade slightly; I don’t know what was used originally. The surprise was finding sweat socks inside her and glass beads that were stuck together, so I changed all that out. I absolutely fell in love with her, though. :heart_eyes: