? Question

Do you guys painted all parts at once, then finish the limbs and then do the finishing facial touches? I feel like my limbs get over done because I keep doing things to them as long as I am working on the head. I am so afraid they won’t match… Advice please:-)

1 Like

You have to do the whole doll at the same time or the limbs and face will not match. That doesn’t mean that every layer covers the entire part. Some of the blush and mottle layers can be specific to areas, but like wispywillow said, every color goes somewhere on each part.

3 Likes

Well I am the oddball here…(as usual) I have parts all over my desk at once…I normally have about 5 kits in progress all the time cause I love doing heads but only love the limbs if they are really cute…
Technically, you should do the whole kit at once…that is the smart thing to do BUT…I tend to do all my heads at once and then go back and do all the limbs! Doing the heads is lots of fun but having to do 5 sets of limbs at one time is B-O-R-I-N-G!!!. I never have had trouble matching even though I mix all my colours but I’ve been painting most all my life so tend to be able to get away with it…so far…at the moment I have 11 custom orders left to finish (just finished 4 others this week) and I have 4 of them in progress and have just taken out my Celeste head and started on her in amongst all the others so just have to make sure I know my kits and who gets which limbs…hahaha!
Seriously though, the ladies above are right, it is probably best to do the whole bubs at one time… :wink:

4 Likes

I guess what I meAnt is… When your limbs are finished, is there more to do with the head?

I work on my whole baby at one time… with each layer and color. I do finishing details last on the whole baby. And I usually only work on one at a time because I am painting on a TV tray and I only have one rack to hold the pieces LOL

2 Likes

It’s funny that you ask that. For me I work on the whole baby at the same time of course especially skin tone layers and washes but at times yes I go through maybe add a little more blushing or more lips color or deepen the undertones on the head because most times the limbs don’t need that as much. If you get what I’m saying. This sounds complicated. :joy: But I do completely finish the baby at once. However, sometimes the face will need more detailing.

2 Likes

Ok, good. I will finish my limbs and then work on perfecting the face. :grinning:

1 Like

No wayyy! IF I managed to match the skin tones, I’d probably mix up the limbs! :wink:

1 Like

For me, I work on the head and limbs at the same time. I do all of the undertones, mottling, overtones, veining and lightly blush the lips, fingers, ears, nose, hands and feet while I’m doing those layers. At the end, when I do the detailing (creases, birthmarks, etc) I go over lips, ears, fingers, toes, hands and feet again.

2 Likes

Ok, it’s just… When I all done with my limbs and I think they are done to my satisfaction… I look at my head and am not satisfied.

I tend to do the same, but with a lot less kits. Right now I am working on 2 and using the same tutorial on both of them. I hate doing the limbs sometimes, especially if something isn’t going the way I want it to with them. And I’m also eager to start on the rooting so sometimes I will skip ahead with my steps on the head so I can start the rooting. I save all my paint mixes in small Mason jars and label them all. I also have a paper where I keep track of all my steps and baking, for each part, eg, I make a chart kinda with columns and list head, arms, legs and then write next to each what step I just completed with what colors. That way if I do decide to jump ahead with my head, I can repeat the exact steps I did with the arms and legs so everything will match in the end. I like to be able to start my rooting bc it takes me so long but sometimes when I just don’t feel like rooting and I’m in the mood to paint, I can work in finishing up my limbs.

1 Like

What do you think is missing on the head? More color? More detail? Is it usually the same “problem” with each baby?

1 Like

I don’t know Amy!!! Just something isn’t right. And yes, I think so on EVERY BABY. That’s how Savannahs face got so red!!! Lol I should of stopped, maybe… When I finished her limbs. But I am never good enough for myself, I just keep going, and going… Lololol I don’t know exactly what I am even trying to accomplish! I think from now on, I should post wip’s and yall can help me. Having not seen reborns to compare my work too, I just can’t stop myself! :weary::flushed:

1 Like

Oh!! And I am trying to accomplish this look… And I don’t know if I should apply it all over or just on the face. Most of the example pics I have are only the head! Oh… Yup, that’s a big part of my problem! I really like the white/ blue around the nose and chin look.

1 Like

I am working on Sam lol, and this is the look I’m aiming for!:smiley:

Yeah, I like the blue tones around the nose and lips, too. Ok, I suggest you look at eBay and reborns.com to see the entire baby. Make a folder and save the pics for reference. It really would help, too, if you purchaed a reborn so you can see firsthand.

Are you using any tutorials? They’ll walk you through the steps that include those little details.

Oh yes!!! I am following advanced newborn from Lara right now! But, it doesn’t have the face look I’m going for. So… I have done the lbs and face equally up until now. That’s why I was wondering, if I could do just a little different on the face. OR SHOULD I JUST STOP!!! Lolololpl I’m manic!!! And you are right. I need to buy a baby. Try telling that to my hubby, who will tell you I have 4 sets of limbs and heads that I haven’t finished. He bought me a WILDFOX. Sweatshirt that says… I never finish anything. I think he was trying to be motivating!!! Lolollolol

1 Like

Am I supposed to use the white blue color on other parts of the body if I use it on the face? Maybe a flesh coat of it? So I match? Lololol I feel pretty stupid! :grin:

Tell him it’s a business investment. :wink:

I’m glad you have a tutorial. I wouldn’t do anything to the skin tone or it won’t match the limbs but maybe adding some details would work. If you’re wanting the blue tones on the nose and mouth, you can add that. (Keep the blues light!) You may even want to add a stork bite if you haven’t already or some scratches.

1 Like

Ok! Yay! That’s what I was wondering!! The next time I sell, I will reinvest in a baby:-) that is better motivation than my fancy sweatshirt! Lmao

1 Like