Question to sellers

Okay so I am a big pile of nerves when it comes to selling. I have a question. I wasn’t included in the money donations so I am probably not gonna get any of them. Probably because I’m technically a minor. My parents don’t have the money to replace my reborning stuff and I’m off work. I have made 5 dolls and I’m fairly comfortable with my painting ability. Would it be okay to offer a custom doll so I can cover the costs of my paints and stuff or is that not okay? My mom agreed to do the transactions as I wasn’t planning on selling until I turn 18 in October. I was thinking this would be the best way to replace my stuff as I do not have any income at the moment or the foreseeable future. I know I don’t love when people offer customs right off the bat but under these circumstances, would it be a good idea? Here is a picture of my last few dolls…

The last one I don’t have many pictures of but I’m getting him back soon so I can take some then. And I just realized I attached those in reverse. The first one is my newest.

1 Like

Won’t your reborning supplies be covered in your house insurance?

As for customs, it’s probably not a good idea. You would be better off painting whatever kit you wanted and selling that rather than offer customs. People that want customs can be really picky and even an experience artist can have a hard time giving them exactly what they want. It’s really hard to paint someone else’s vision no matter how experienced you are. The customer would have to have seen a lot of your work to know that they really like everything about your style to be able to let you paint without picking apart everything that you do. For this reason a lot of artists will tell you that they won’t even do customs anymore. If you sell a finished baby and someone likes it and buys it, great there are no surprises and they are getting exactly what they expect. If you paint a custom and it’s not what they had in their mind you are running into a lot of unhappiness and problems.

17 Likes

Well said, Amanda!

2 Likes

We didn’t have renters insurance. And I didn’t ask our landlord to say I had a small business in time because I didn’t think of it so it’s not covered. I was thinking the same about the customs. I just thought I would ask. That just means I will have to find a way to pay for my supplies lol. Thank you for the advice!

3 Likes

I was thinking I would buy that stuff out of the money for my work. Like I would charge for the kit and stuff and also charge some for the work I put into it. And out of that I could replace my stuff. Idk it was just an idea lol

1 Like

What paints are you used to using?

1 Like

I think of the 3 kits this one looks the best. I honestly think you should not offer customs at this point. You are young and you are out of supplies. Customs tend to be very specific in what they want and you would need to have a broad range of expertise and supplies. I would suggest you and your Mom try selling the babies you have made on reborns.com. It cost $19.99 for a 30Day membership but then you do not have any fees after that. You can list 1 baby per day. I like to wait until I have more than one ready to sell to warrant paying the monthly fee. This month I listed and sold 3 babies. You can use the free membership but they do not show your baby as much. It would be up to you to then post the link on all your social media and advertise it.

Maybe if you posted a list of the supplies you are needing here those who have extras to sell at a discount could let you know.

2 Likes

I am used to using Rebornfx. I had the full starter set and was about to start adding to what I had when the fire happened. I have none left so I need everything…:slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

What exactly do you need right now? Everything? Like paints, brushes, additives to the paints? Do you do air dry? You need a kit or so to start with? I do have a kit I could send to you for free. If we all find out what you need, maybe would possibly help you that way. Do you live in the US?

1 Like

GMTA! Great Minds Think Alike – I suggested maybe we could help her as well.

1 Like

I don’t personally have RebornFX, but someone may have some they could sell to you inexpensively. I am so sorry this has happened to you – through no fault of your own. It seems greedy of me to have so many kits, and not at least offer you 1 for free. Provided I don’t have to ship to Canada. :slight_smile: I have plenty of other supplies I could offer. Let’s see if anyone else comes up with anything.

1 Like

She is in Canada.

1 Like

Yeah I’m in Canada sadly. I really appreciate this but I would feel bad taking this stuff from you guys. :heart:

1 Like

I don’t have any reborn FX paints, but I do have some Cher’dry (not sure of the spelling) paints and mediums that I no longer have a use for. I bought the starter set a few years ago but could never get the hang of them, and now I use Ultimate Fusion. You are more than welcome to the cher’dry paints if you want them. They’re just sitting here gathering dust as it is. I’ll ship them to Canada, provided the cost isn’t too extreme lol.

2 Likes

Morgan, I don’t think you’re ready to tackle ‘custom’ babies quite yet. Everyone has to put in a lot of ‘dolly hours’ before they ever get to the point where ‘customs’ become something they can feel comfortable with offering. Talk to some reborners who actually do paint customs and they will tell you it can be Brutal!! People want EXACTLY what they order, no room for error, it’s high anxiety for the artist. Put in some more time, refine your colors, learn to add more depth and shading with different colors and you will be well on your way to becoming a ‘custom artist’, it all takes a lot of time and you will get there with lots of perseverance! Good Luck along your journey!

4 Likes

When I first started a little over a year ago, I had not a dime to spend for supplies. I even sold my first baby to recoup the costs. I then painted one kit at a time and put all my profits into building up supplies. Where there is a will, there is a way, even if you have to buy supplies $10 at a time. You can do it!

2 Likes

I really like the first baby. What are you asking for it?

2 Likes

Oh, OK.

1 Like

Believe me, you wouldn’t be taking when folks offer.

1 Like

She isn’t available. I lost her in a fire. Sorry! :heart::heart:

1 Like