Question about EBAY and Custom Orders

— Begin quote from “~Audrey~”

Thanks Dreamweaver. But is it okay for ME to contact the second highest bidder and OFFER to do a custom for her? (as opposed to her contacting me)

Thanks

— End quote

You can contact her or she can contact you, doesnt matter…but everything needs to go thru Ebay for both of your acct protection.

This is what I , as well as several reborn friends of mine do.Just make an auction that is for that person to pay the deposit.Its can be a blank auction( no pictures) with only a title that is their name for example the title would be “Custom berenguer for Mary H.”…make a BIN for the deposit.Send them a link and they click Buy it Now and pay the deposit.
Then when the baby is done you do the same thing for the balance due…then its all thru Ebay, you havent cheated Ebay and they cant come after you!

Oh if I had a nickel for everything I have “heard” about one person or another

Ebay will say its okay to send second chance offers but not okay to contact outside of Ebay…but go ahead and check that out for peice of mind…

I spent some time looking into this today and I’ve “heard” that several very well known reborners (some even in this forum) DO in fact contact the 2nd highest bidder outside of ebay and offer to do a custom with payment going through Paypal of course.

So now I’m wondering if it’s okay or not. I guess I’ll contact Ebay just to be sure. Thanks everyone for the help.

— End quote

I’ve read about this in EBay’s policies. You may not contact a bidder and offer to make a sale outside of EBay. I know that one for a fact. There’s a whole section about contacting EBay members.
BUT - - - I would think that if a member contacts YOU and asks, it may be OK to get personal e-mail accounts and correspond that way, leaving the EBay fees out of the transaction. I don’t know for sure if that scenario is in EBay’s use policies though.

— Begin quote from ____

I spent some time looking into this today and I’ve “heard” that several very well known reborners (some even in this forum) DO in fact contact the 2nd highest bidder outside of ebay and offer to do a custom with payment going through Paypal of course.

— End quote

Yep, it happens all the time. I have never done it but I know of others who are very well known and sell at a high dollar amount who do it. It may be against the rules but it happens. They may contact them through Ebay but then the sale is done on the side through Paypal and not as an ebay listing.

I am pretty sure thats what second chance offer is but let us know after you call Ebay and clean off the spoon!!!

Of course Ebay is going to say no sales outside of Ebay. They want their fees!!! Did you see the recent article in the paper about how much money Ebay is making? Paypal is now making even more that Ebay! Can you believe that? Man, when I first started, Paypal didn’t even have fees.

That being said, the only way to contact the second highest bidder is through a second chance offer. You can’t even get the user name of the bidder any other way. I have done this and offered customs to the second highest bidder through a second chance offer. If they take you up later to do a custom, why is it any different than if someone contacted you through your website and asked for a custom? Your not spamming…they contacted you by bidding on your doll in the first place and showing interest in your work. I see nothing wrong with it.

Good points Fab and Lara!!

Curiosity got the best of me so I just called Ebay…and the answer is YES, you can contact a non-winning bidder about a custom.And YES…if they dont want to pay in full upfront you can create a listing for the deposit and then a listing for the balance ( as I described above):smiley:
No need to take my word for it, go ahead and call for your own piece of mind…

I also learned some new, you can send an offer for 60 DAYS, didnt know that…here is a quote pulled right off the Ebay site…

“You can make a second chance offer to a non-winning buyer immediately or up to 60 days after the listing ends” You learn something new everyday!

Just read this thread and I have a question. Suppose someone DOESN’T bid on your reborn but contacts you and asks you to make them a different sculpt? That’s what happened with me on my siggy baby. The lady wanted to buy a reborn I had listed for less than I had spent to just make the doll. I told her I couldn’t do it but I would be happy to do a cheaper sculpt for that price. I didn’t know that was against eBay policy…but is it?

Hope I didn’t do something wrong!

Eileen you can do that you just need to make an auction for the transaction…no big deal, if you made the mistake of taking the transaction outside of Ebay dont worry about it just do it the other way next time!

— Begin quote from ____

who the he!! does ebay think they are telling someone that they “can’t” do a transaction outside ebay?? i would think if someone wants to take the risk and do a transaction outside ebay, then that’s their business, ebay only wants their hands in the cookie jar…i can’t say i personally would do a transaction outside ebay with the afore-mentioned circumstances, but if i wanted to, i really don’t think they could stop me!

— End quote

I agree, Kelly! You know I’ve been thinking a lot about this. I do this all the time as a buyer. For instance, I have bought many items from sellers because of another item they had listed and either I didn’t want the particular color or maybe I didn’t place a bid in time and I’ve only had one or two sellers put it through eBay. I’ve done this with mohair, too!

I was under the impression that as long as you’re not buying the item that is being auctioned off, you could buy something else from the seller and just go through eBay. Now I feel like a crook! HELP!

**UPDATE: I just spoke to eBay (Michelle in Seller Dept.) If a buyer wants you to make them a reborn (AND they have NOT bid on your current auction, i.e. no second chance offer) it is NOT mandatory that you go through eBay. You need to communicate directly with them thru e-mail (not eBay messages) but the protection of BOTH buyer and seller doesn’t apply (as someone mentioned before).

My buyer of the custom siggy baby had not bid on my auction. Michelle guaranteed me that I would not be dropped from eBay for doing this!**

I don’t know anything about e-bay and have never bought or sold through them. But it sure sounds like they own you. I’m trying to understand how they could stop you from making a private sale outside e-bay. Especially if you listed a doll and sold the doll and now that auction is over. How can they dictate what you can and cannot do after that? I guess I just don’t understand everything.

To clarify:

Jane has a reborn for sale on auction. Mary won it for $1000. But Ann wanted it too, she was in a bidding war with Mary but ultimately lost as she could only pay $900.

So, when the auction is over, Jane contacts Ann and says “hey, I’m sorry you lost my auction but if you’d like I’ll make you one just like her for the highest bid you offered, the $900.”

All done OUTSIDE of ebay, NOT a second chance offer, no re-auction, no ebay whatsoever. Just flat business between Jane and Mary.

THAT is against ebay policy, that is what I was asking about and yes that most definitely goes on. Yes people have gotten “caught” and I don’t want to be one of those people.

Thanks again.

— End quote

To me that sounds like “Jane” and “Mary” could be shilling??I have heard about shilling and could never understand how the shiller would make ANY money selling the doll to a non-paying bidder.I guess thats how they do it???

Yes, I’d always wondered about that too. So shillers use the second chance offer to sell the doll to the genuine bidder for whatever price the shiller had forced it to. That’s so wrong.

— Begin quote from “EK8s”

— Begin quote from ____

who the he!! does ebay think they are telling someone that they “can’t” do a transaction outside ebay?? i would think if someone wants to take the risk and do a transaction outside ebay, then that’s their business, ebay only wants their hands in the cookie jar…i can’t say i personally would do a transaction outside ebay with the afore-mentioned circumstances, but if i wanted to, i really don’t think they could stop me!

— End quote

I agree, Kelly! You know I’ve been thinking a lot about this. I do this all the time as a buyer. For instance, I have bought many items from sellers because of another item they had listed and either I didn’t want the particular color or maybe I didn’t place a bid in time and I’ve only had one or two sellers put it through eBay. I’ve done this with mohair, too!

I was under the impression that as long as you’re not buying the item that is being auctioned off, you could buy something else from the seller and just go through eBay. Now I feel like a crook! HELP!

— End quote

**UPDATE: I just spoke to eBay (Michelle in Seller Dept.) If a buyer wants you to make them a reborn (AND they have NOT bid on your current auction, i.e. no second chance offer) it is NOT mandatory that you go through eBay. You need to communicate directly with them thru e-mail (not eBay messages) but the protection of BOTH buyer and seller doesn’t apply (as someone mentioned before).

My buyer of the custom siggy baby had not bid on my auction. Michelle guaranteed me that I would not be dropped from eBay for doing this!**

Thats awesome info Eileen, thanks for sharing!!
That sheds a whole new light on custom orders…guess we had more options than we thought!

— Begin quote from ____

Thats awesome info Eileen, thanks for sharing!!
That sheds a whole new light on custom orders…guess we had more options than we thought!

— End quote

— Begin quote from ____

I hope this clarifies things for all of us, Kim. I’m just glad to know I didn’t do anything wrong! Hugs!

— End quote

AMEN!! They might be able to tell us what we can do ON Ebay but that cant control what we do OFF Ebay !

Shilling is plain stupid…and it gets quite obvious when artist constantly has to relist…and relist…and relist !!

It often makes me wonder to when you see a baby that has poor painting and looks like it has been rooted with a nail and hammer goes really high and a baby twice the quality barely sells or doesnt even make the reserve… while it isnt proof of shilling it is one of those things that makes you say hmmmmmm

I think that if you feel so strongly about this and you believe someone is cheating you should contact ebay about it.
If someone suspected me of cheating I would want them to contact ebay and investigate my business practices It is just not fair to the sellers that do care about our customers and always being honest with them.
Take for instance my last sale, the lady that lost wants me to make a custom for her. She did contact me on my personal email which was given to her when we exchanged them to discuss payment plans if she were to win.
I too have heard of sellers doing this.

Shilling is stupid and the ones that do make it so obvious should be turned in, it makes all buyers skittish to bid.
That is a reason I always put a BIN on my auctions and usually all suspected shillers usually do not use it.

— Begin quote from S

— Begin quote from “JEN”

That is a reason I always put a BIN on my auctions and usually all suspected shillers usually do not use it.

— End quote

ah man, I dont put bin, coz I feel arrogant if I do, like as if my doll is worth that much.
But I do prefer if I have a reserve and it is not met, I rather relist than send the higest bidder to ask if they are interested. I also hate custom, So usually unless the person bought my baby before and am happy. I usually will decline the offer.

— End quote

I am going to rephrase that, I dont think all people that do not use a BIN are shillers, just some that have been proven to be shillers and I am sorry to whomever doesnt use them I did not mean to offend you:) I put a BIN on my auctions because I want my buyers to trust that I do not shill and also if I do set it high then they might be more apt to bid thinking my starting bid is not too high compared to the BIN
Sabrina you should feel arrogant your dolls are beautiful

Edit because I cannot spell