Prisma only hair

I usually do it twice, LOL! I pencil it and then seal it and then pencil it and seal it again. Overkill I guess, but otherwise it seems to come off. It also helps that I like light nails and not the manicured look. I think paint would be better for that.

1 Like

@anon72659292 those are beautiful babies x

1 Like

I love combi hair. Itā€™s my favorite because I donā€™t have the patience to do a full rooting sometimes. But I donā€™t like the hair to not move at all. Lots of times I just root the thatch on top.

1 Like

Can you post a picture of the feathery brush? Please?:heart:ļø

Thank you!!!

I think that might work, although I havenā€™t tried it. What I have been noticing ā€¦ Is my baked prisma comes completely off as I root over it. I seal the head with varnish before I prisma the hairā€¦ Maybe I need to seal it after also!!!

I seal after I use the Prisma. I donā€™t varnish before I draw it on because I have already sealed the head at the beginning and already have a base to work on.

Addendum: when I was answering Jackie Jo down below this, I realized that I actually do seal the entire doll to set my powders before I do the Prisma. My bad. For how I really do it, read the post to JJ below.

2 Likes

I sealed my boo boo Chrisy and was not smooth about it. Every stroke was messy and grainy looking. Now I bake and then seal on top. Carefully, so as to not disturb the Prisma. Chrisy is waiting for rooted hair now.

1 Like

You have to 100% seal after!!

2 Likes

The first layer will lift in some areas when you apply the varnish. Bake after doing the first layer and then seal. You maybe have to touch up the layers that lift.

Lol I had no idea!!! Duh!! Totally makes sense! I had read somewhere that if you leave prisma on, it will set by itself. So I guess I thought baking it would make it permanent. I do learn something everyday!!!

1 Like

Are there any tutorials on how to do hair with prisma pencils? I would love to learn how to do it! One question that I have is that when I use prisma pencils to draw in the eyebrows the color and the lines donā€™t etch on to the vinyl easy. A lot of times when I draw on the brows I make a line and you can barely see it. I buy my prisma pencils through Dolls by Sandie.

1 Like

I am, by no means, an expert on Prisma. However, I did realize that sharpening the pencils in an automatic sharpener rendered them useless. Almost as if they had melted or something. When I went back to sharpening with a manual sharpener, they worked again. I do still have times when they donā€™t see to want to behave. Especially on the very short strokes of the eyebrows.

Itā€™s not your pencils, itā€™s your surface. It must be a primed surface to take the pencil. Put a bit of matte or satin varnish over the area and bake it. Then do your pencils. You wonā€™t have that problem any more. Do the same for the head if you are go to do Prisma hair. I use powders so I seal the whole doll with varnish. Then I do the Prisma and seal that again. I also try to let the Prisma sit a few hours or overnight before sealing it as it seems to stay put better.

Another thing with Prisma. Start out with a very light touch and add layers for depth. You can use more than one color pencil as well. If so, start with your lighter tone and add the dark tones after.

Donā€™t I sound like a know-it-all? Sorry. This is just how I do it after a lot of trial and error. LOL

7 Likes

Your post was so much help and really answered my questions totally!! Thank you for sharing that with me! And BTW you donā€™t sound like a know it allā€¦you sound like a wonderful artist that is sharing your techniques with someone who knows nothing about Prisma hairā€¦me!! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Hiā€¦thank you so much for your help! I did end up buying a manual Prisma Pencil Sharpener on Dolls by Sandie. I appreciate your help! :relaxed:

I know this is old but I love your Stanley lol Iā€™m trying to figure out how to use these pencils lol canā€™t seem to get it to come out on the vinyl :frowning:

Like I said in the last post I know this is a kinda old post but exactly what I was looking for lol thanks :slight_smile: couldnā€™t get the pencil to come out on the vinyl. I never used these before :slight_smile:

Since this old post got resurrected I thought I would do an update here. I did two dolls, entirely Prisma as an experiment. I loved them and they sold quickly so it is a viable option for me! Thanks everybody.

1 Like