Primer for Liquitex paints?

What should I use to prime my kit? I’m using liquitex acrylics and I also have liquitex matte gel, would that work? Thank you in advance!

If you want to prime, ultra matte gel or soft touch varnish with a little dissolved cornstarch will work. Add a little ultra matte gel to your paints, also, to reduce shine.

2 Likes

Okay, I have matte gel, not ultra, would that work?

Probably but test it for shine on a neck or limb flange. I find that even the ultra matte gel isn’t totally matte. You might have to add the cornstarch.

2 Likes

Got it, it’s a good thing I bought cornstarch yesterday lol, thanks so much!!

This is @anjsmiles recipe.
20 drops distilled water
1/4 tsp cornstarch
1 level plastic picnic spoon soft touch varnish.
Dissolve cornstarch in water.
Add soft touch varnish. Golden Matte Polymer Varnish w/UVLS works too, and is UV protective. Soft Touch isn’t but it leaves such a soft finish. I use one coat of each for my final seal.

You might need to thin the matte gel a bit. It should be the consistency of thin hand lotion.

3 Likes

I don’t prime my kits, but that is what works for me. It took me a while to figure that out for myself. We all have our own way.

2 Likes

For priming I do not recommend using the Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel alone. I love it as a medium to mix into paints though.

For priming you want to use a product that clearly states that it can be used as a translucent ground. Both Fluid Matte Medium and regular Matte Medium says this. You can use Liquitex or Golden brand.

This is my final varnish recipe but it is not a primer.

Primer is designed the seal off the vinyls so that oils can not seep through and the surface will allow the paint to adhere well to it. Sometimes vinyls can have releasing agents within them that can come through over time and priming with a primer or translucent ground product seals this off.

4 Likes

I know, but I have used it as a primer and it worked well.

1 Like

I ended up getting the liquitex matte medium, how long should I let it dry before I start painting?