Prices, sales, reborn vibe currently (long winded)

Lol. Anyone else remember Prilly Charmin website and stencil paints? Freaking cream wall stencil paint and roving mohair rooted with a huge needle.

Those were the days. :rofl::rofl:

I remember a few weeks qgo showing my husband a berengure. ( i still cant spell that. Lol) and telling him i used fo reborn them.
He was both fascinated and horrified. Lol

2 Likes

Prilly Charmin!!! I remember :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you, Gina. Excited to see the 9!

1 Like

OH yes I still have a PrillyCharmin body pattern. I got my start from her!

2 Likes

Yep totally thatā€™s where I got my start, Prilly Charmin stencil paints and Berenguers.

2 Likes

@Gabriell Your dolls are true Art Work. I have always been so inspired by your work. I love learning about the " good old days" of reborning. I havenā€™t been reborning as long as most of you Ladies but I enjoy hearing the stories. And I admire all your babies. These 3 years Iā€™ve been in this group and reboring my babies have just flown by so fast. And in just 3 years since I started Iā€™ve seen a difference. Reborn.com is swamped with so many extremely low priced dolls, which , like what was said earlier, canā€™t make any profit. With supplies higher then ever and mostly hard to find, I just canā€™t see how a $200 doll can make a profit. But anyway, I love the art of reborning and I truly hope we can all continue to do what we love.

1 Like

Should I reply or not?.?.?.?
I was a member here from almost the beginning. I left the forum for a year recently because I received unsolicited ā€œadviceā€ from someone here when I posted my two babies in the wip section. Honestly, I have a hard enough time second guessing myself without someone else making that worse.
I realize we all need to grow but donā€™t make someone feel bad when they werenā€™t seeking criticism in the first place.
Iā€™ve enough experience to realize my babies arenā€™t going to garner top of the line prices but I do enough of not believing in myself that I realize I underprice myself on most of my babies. Iā€™ve had more people who have seen my babies in person and who are in the doll community tell me that my babies should be double what I price them for.
I got a hurtful experience today when I went to a doll show and a woman who purchased one of my babies a year ago (I regretted selling her the moment it happened) was there selling her for FOUR times the price she paid me! I was told by someone else she also said she made her babies that had coaā€™s herself. I donā€™t have a problem with someone reselling but to not give credit and to sell for 4x the original is shocking to me.
I learned a few things because of this. I do underprice my babies (maybe not 500.00 worth), I need to have more confidence in my work and I need to stick up for myself more. Also, I wonā€™t sell anymore babies to her.
I paint as a hobby. Iā€™ve been doing this for years. I paint when I get the notion or time. Lately, more and more I have less and less ā€œnotionā€ or time. The state of this community makes me sad. Between the mean people, the people who think they know more than everyone else, the fakes destroying trust and sculptors livelihoods, the supply shortages, scammers making you hold your breath every time you make a sale or just being nasty in general,.it takes the joy of just painting for the sheer joy of creating,away.
I have 400 some odd kits and will never paint them all but as someone else said , no one else wants to horde my kits for me so I will just sit here and continue to paint when I feel like it, try to not let others make me feel bad about my interpretation of how my art should be and maybe sell a reborn or two when someone somewhere likes what they see.
And I will come to look around here once in a while but I swore I would never post another of my babies here again and I wonā€™t.

2 Likes

I am sorry the feedback made you feel so bad. I am not a person who retains data well so I canā€™t say I remember this happening or what was said, just sorry it made you feel bad.

I personally donā€™t mind feedback, I have made all the mistakes, I am an artist but painting reborns was a learning curve and not something I ever imagined doing, I a personally grateful for the ā€œOh my those eyebrows are painted in the wrong directionā€ comments, I needed them to grow, not everyone does.

I was an annoying know-it-all when I got here, I illustrate, I know how to paint, I thought I could helpā€¦not so much, still a little embarrassed. Vinyl is strange thing to paint on for sure.

Totally get the frustration with someone buying a baby and reselling for more. In a way itā€™s cool but in a way I feel kinda gross about it, and not giving credit, not cool at all (most especially if they use your photos).

Many of us donā€™t sell for as much as we are worth, I think artists in general never make what they are worth, we work hard for little but I think people see creative work as hobby or play and not ā€œrealā€ labor. Not sure that will ever change.

You have to get real with your inner critic, again not easy to do. I am horrible at it myself, that voice is loud, I know everything I could have or should have done better, I doubt and double doubt myself all the time and I undersell my work for all kinds of reasons. I think I would rather it make someone happy than be sitting here in my studio waiting for profit. Not a great business model.

Glad you are back, maybe a break is all you needed. I know I canā€™t tell someone how to think or feel but part of being a creative is learning to let it roll off you, it isnā€™t personal. It can feel like absolute shite, I get it, been there. I get a little miffed when someone low balls a fairly priced doll and if I pass they insult me, let me know all the bills they have, medical issues, the anxiety I am causing because I wonā€™t work for less, tell me I am greedy and they can get a doll just like this on amazon for 109.00.

Grrrrrā€¦that is a big ol poop in my morning oatmeal.

I guess we just have to have thicker skin, humans are complex and strange creatures, and these are some crazy times.

Gotta say painting babies is damn relaxing if nothing else, and depending on your health insurance it is much cheaper than therapy or happy pills.

6 Likes

I can definitely relate to people selling my dolls for more than I sold them for. One lady in particular gave me a sob story, which I was dumb enough to fall for at the time, then turned right around and sold that doll for a $100 profit.
I raised my prices and donā€™t listen to the sob stories anymore. Now I donā€™t care what they sell them for as long as I get what I wanted in the beginning.

Critique I actually like. If it wasnā€™t for more experienced or skilled artists telling me things, my learning curve would have been steeper. They are all on this forum and Iā€™m grateful to them every time I make a sale because I know my dolls wouldnā€™t have been worth this much without their help.

I do get that some people donā€™t like it. And itā€™s okay. Years ago when this was coming up a lot people started adding a little note to their pics -no critique/gentle critique- so everyone knew. Everyone respected their wishes. :blush:

5 Likes

Wow, Prilly Charmin is still around:

https://prillycharmin.com/restore/index_reborns.htm

Ya I looked her up about 2 months ago just for fun.

1 Like