Powder recommendation

I’m looking for some feedback from any of you who use powders and favorite colors. I’m thinking of ordering some but I’m not sure if one brand is favored over another? Coastal scents has a really good sale going right now, but are pan pastels better? Also, favorite colors used for caucasian tones. I’d appreciate any info as I don’t want to order a truckload of colors if I don’t need to.Thank you!

I wouldn’t use make up on my dolls. Pan pastels are so much better :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use GHSP but for the blush on hands and feet I use Coastal scents. I have never had a problem with coastal scents and ive been using it for my creases for months.

5 Likes

Coastal Scents are great, very pigmented and I use them with no problem. Makeup or not, we only use it for the pigments, after all.
Panpastel are very great mbut expensive and difficult to get used to the strong pigmentation.

I guess any type of pastel would do great too.

2 Likes

That was my first thought too which is part of why I asked! Do you have favorite crease/blushing colors?

Do you have favorite colors for crease /blushing?

Beautiful! Do you have colors you’d recommend?

I have had several people to contact me saying they had issues with paint lifting when they used Coastal Scents. Others have loved them and had no problems. When I tried them I was using Genesis at the time and found the Genesis would not heat set properly over them, they had to be used at the end and then sealed.

I prefer PanPastels. They are VERY pigmented and need to be cut with their blending powder. They are not expensive, but rather very economical overall when you consider how much you get and that a little goes a long ways in intensity. The pans are not the size of the little eyeshadow Coastal Scents. They are much larger, similar in size to a makeup powder compact. So overall you get a lot of pigment bang for your buck.

I will say that if you are trying to follow Sue-Ellen’s method for painting with powders that PanPastels work differently than the Coastal scents and therefore some do not like them for that reason. They do not slide around on the vinyl as much but instead tend to grab it more so there is a learning curve on how to apply them.

I have also read of others using Pastel chalks for their powder painting and they like that but I have not tried them myself.

2 Likes

you can also get pastel pencils at art stores.

I use wild raisin for creases, but for blushing I prefer paint. You can use any red.

1 Like

C.a. Are great I am using them for a good while now and never had an issue . I do set them with a wash of GHSP every time I use them so it’s always blended and cured well . I never really used some of them , but the others I use often .

1 Like

Here’s my coastal scents pallette. You can see which ones I use the most of. I also have a vibrant lime green, not in the pallette, that I use quite a bit.

2 Likes

Do you find the colors are pretty true to what they look like in the pallet or do they go on lighter /darker?

Really accurate, except for the browns, they are a lot darker on the doll.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the info!

1 Like

That’s the colors I use. It may help.

There are the colors

Burnished brunette
Brownstone
Chocolatier
Fools gold
Vibrant red
Neon red
Cornflower blue
Wild raisin

1 Like

For the creases I use fine wine, I think thats the name. For blushing i mix a few colors to the shade I want.

1 Like