Pif

So it’s my turn to do a PIF. I decided to ask everyone to give some tips on mapping out a head for rooting. I think my biggest tip would be especially for the new reborners would be to not try to think you have to copy anyone else and don’t think because you are not doing the mapping or rooting like someone else that you are wrong, everyone should be comfortable with their own style. For me I always start at the back and then do the sides and the top is last. I have tried other ways and I just can’t do it, I guess it’s just the way my brain processes. The prize for this PIF is my own hand crocheted outfit. I didn’t have a reborn completed at the moment to model it, but it would fit an 18-21" reborn. If you don’t have any advise to share and would still like to enter, just leave your username and you will be entered anyway. I will put everyone’s name in a bowl and choose the winner next Saturday.

6 Likes

I do mine like you Anna:-) back and sides then top. Great tip about not being intimidated by others great work… Because I am. I guess my only advice for rooting is that good hair makes a big difference. And I can’t wait to hear real advice on this amazing PIF!:heart:

2 Likes

Great topic! I am new to all of this too, so I an looking forward to gaining some great advice from this one. Thanks.

Great topic and lovely prize! :slight_smile:

When I first started I bought the 38g rooting needles that were supposed to be for beginners, I don’t like them. I have since bought 43g single barb needle and I am thinking about getting the 43g forked needle. I really don’t have any advice other than take your time and keep practicing and you will get better at rooting. You will probably break many needles before you get the hang of it and you will break more even after, so be prepared and buy more needles then what you think you need.

1 Like

I map my swirl first and then map from the swirl to the front and then map the sides and back. I start either at the back, or sometimes at the front of the hairline and do the top back to the swirl, then the sides, back and swirl last. I hate doing the nape of the neck. It seems to be the hardest for me to root. I try mapping different forehead hairlines such a peaked or rounded to see what looks best. Rooting is the hardest part of reborning for me.

1 Like

my best advice i can think of is if you have more than one or 2 hairs per hole is pluck as you go. And of course take you time. I always try for sparse hair and end up with lots of hair. lol

1 Like

Well, I love the little outfit, so I think i’ll get in on this one.

My best advice is to not be afraid to try new things whether it is new rooting patterns, or prisma hair, or whatever appeals to you. Most mistakes can be fixed, and the gains that come from experimenting are far greater than the losses.

3 Likes

I just won a PIF so it’s my turn as well to PIF. I’ll come up with something in the next day or so…but on this topic my tip is: No matter how tempting, don’t buy or use Ruby Red. If you have some use it to practice on a test leg or something but NEVER on your baby unless it’s a last alternative. It’s okay for beginners but as quickly as you can afford it…get some slumberland or any other quality mohair. You’ll be amazed at the difference.

3 Likes

Where is the best place to buy rooting needles?

I buy mine from BB.

1 Like

My best advice would be to not get discouraged and try not to root for too long in one session. Practice and patience are a must.

1 Like

I bought my german forked needles from somewhere over a year ago and i have only broken one in the whole time I have had them. i want to order some new ones but can’t for the life of me remember where i bought them. LOL Could it have been Dolls by Sandie? I know it wasn’t BB.

1 Like

I need to know! I broke 24 needles and counting on Leah’s little head. The needles were super old, I’m not sure if that matters?

I love the 43g single barb needles that I order from Secrist. I bought some from Spearson Doll Bodies over a year ago that seemed to be the same, but they now are selling a “new and improved” needle that is 43g single Barb and showing as stronger. I just ordered 20 of them so will give them a try next week and let you know. Here is the link if anyone else wants to give them a test.
http://spearsondollbodies.com/page23.htm

1 Like