Photo shoot lighting?

I’m struggling with a week of clouds and no natural sunlight for my baby’s photo shoot. What kinda of lighting should I look into and what lighting do you gals use(besides sunlight)? These can get expensive, which should I purchase? a box light, reflecting light, or halogen work light?

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeb3yE-tyFZzjCX8Vu4y9A56ky8_bkk1zygnCJ2FRd3WQSkbao

I bought one of the cubes which comes with two lights. It was very reasonable on Ebay like less than 80.00. This has helped a lot being that the weather doesn’t always cooporate.

delete

delete

I have the soft box and I do like it for some things, they are not very big so when you have a bigger baby to photograph it is not the best. I know I need a nice camera

Hi, try this web site How a Baked Potato Can Extend Your Cameras Battery Life on a Cold Day … light-tent. Hope it helps

Linda

Ok…I think I’ll try the light box… There are some 40" ones on ebay.

Actually, cloudy weather is perfect for photoshooting. Soft light is the best! No shadows, no flare, no over-exposed parts. I never shoot in sunlight unless I have to.

What camera do you use?

Thanks for that hint, Friki. Here in the South, we have a lot of overcast days. I’ll have to play around and practice my photo taking with one of my keepers so that I’m better at posing before I list another doll. I’ve considered taking one of those to Walmart just for the fun of it and get her photo taken. Wonder what they would think

— Begin quote from “djjessie228”

Thanks for that hint, Friki. Here in the South, we have a lot of overcast days. I’ll have to play around and practice my photo taking with one of my keepers so that I’m better at posing before I list another doll. I’ve considered taking one of those to Walmart just for the fun of it and get her photo taken. Wonder what they would think

— End quote

What a great idea! Who cares what they think, you’ll pay them to do their job, so they better be quiet

funny, I was just asking about cameras…I have a new one that I should read the directions for. I want to show larger pix of my babies…I suppose I could use photobucket to enlarge…I always shoot in daylight, with all the lights in the house on! Wish I had a more professional set up. I’ve thought of Walmart photos, too! Wouldn’t that be fun? who’s gonna go 1st?

— Begin quote from “LittleMama”

funny, I was just asking about cameras…I have a new one that I should read the directions for. I want to show larger pix of my babies…I suppose I could use photobucket to enlarge…I always shoot in daylight, with all the lights in the house on! Wish I had a more professional set up. I’ve thought of Walmart photos, too! Wouldn’t that be fun? who’s gonna go 1st?

— End quote

Are you talking about the Picture Me portrait studios? and the $7.99 special? I would SO do it! Next “Contest doll” I’m there! If I did that for Rowan, he would have been done weeks earlier… lol.

I have a great camera, Nikon D80. Just don’t know how to use it to it’s full potential, like adjusting white balance, ISO level and such… might as well be speaking a foreign language. SO…I’m just going to get some good lighting and use the auto feature, lol.

I prefer to take my pictures on a cloudy day right around noon right in front of a bunch of windows. If the day is too gray I use one of the cheap-p 3 or 5 arm “octopus” lights from home depot or walmart. Robot or human? … e/19611914 I put full spectrum light bulbs in it and can eliminate shadows without making the coloring go “off” because of the wrong lighting. My favorite 3 arm lamp was my daughters and it bit the dust in the dorm this year so I’m now looking for a replacement. I found that being able to aim light exactly where I want it was really nice and those bulbs don’t change the baby’s color.

Thank you to all the wonderful ladies who posted. I really needed some ideas to help me take better pictures because I really struggle with that. This was very helpful.

Does anyone know the difference between an OTT light and a full spectrum light bulb? Also why when I photograph using the OTT light, which is great for painting, does the doll look blue in the photos? I’ve heard of people using their OTT light to paint but what am I doing wrong? Or is it the camera?

It must be your camera. I will sometimes use my ott lights only have three.LOL I use two on for painting and sometimes will use one for picture taking if I don’t want to put the baby in the photo cube. My pictures don’t have a blue to them. Sometimes depending on the time of day as I have NO windows in my craft room, so have to depend on the florescent light and ott lights, the picture will sometimes have too much orange tint to them. That is another reason why I bought the cube with the two lights and now have the hang over octogon reflector light. It really makes things more natural and gets completely rid of any color tints that just happen to be hanging around.