Pastels advice needed 😁

I am painting my A.A. Baby with Genesis paints. My last layer is shading and blushing with pastels. I need to varnish her but need recommendations for what I can used as an isolation layer before varnishing her? I am trying not to buy the RebornFX Spray Sealer for Powders and Pastels due to cost…thank you so much ladies for your help

3 Likes

You can use either Soft Gel Gloss or Fluid Matte Medium to set the powders. Soft Gel Gloss functions as an isolation coat.

https://www.goldenpaints.com/technicalinfo_isolationcoat

3 Likes

I use Liquitex Matte Gel or Ultra mixed in with my paints - Liquitex. I do a few layers of paint then I Put a layer of gel by itself, mixed with Distilled water all over. This helps seal in the Pastels when I use them. I don’t prep my kits with anything but this may help as an isolation layer. It’s just what I do. Let us know what you do!

2 Likes

What’s an isolation coat exactly?

2 Likes

The link explains it. That @anjsmiles posted.

1 Like

I had to ask my sweet @Lil the same question. This is a whole new adventure for me lol.

1 Like

Thank you for all the great advice and suggestions, I will let you know what I end up doing and how it goes! Here is a pic of her so far. Let’s hope I don’t mess her up!!

11 Likes

Dont use the RebornFX spray sealer on Genesis babies…just in case you need to bake the kit after. It gets ultra shiny and rubbery when baked and good luck painting on that afterwards…nightmare as it becomes terrible after that. I almost stripped a GHS baby after using the RebornFX spray sealer. I really dislike it…even on my air dry kits.

4 Likes

Yes, I will not use that spray again. I thought I was gonna have to sell cutie as a boo boo. But I was able to fix after some good advice on here.

1 Like

How did you fix it? I need that same advice? I had some over spray droplets on the arm and didnt see them until it was too late.

1 Like

Nice @Reefbubbles

1 Like

I did plan on sealing her with Genesis matte varnish, I am so glad you shared that with me. @anjsmiles will that be a problem with me using Soft Gel Gloss or Fluid Matte Medium?

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

I tagged you in the post

1 Like

A link to the advice that @Msmimi04 was referencing. (in case anybody needs the cross reference in the future.

2 Likes

She is looking really nice, beautiful skin tone :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess I made a newbie mistake I should have used the little hourglass and did my research first :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, I bookmarked that thread. It was very thoroughly talked about with a lot of great advice!

Thank you, I have to switch over to finishing Pricilla her new daddy will be needing her soon. I just need to varnish and root then I can work on her again. A.A. Skin is more stressful, keeping your skin smooth and perfect on every layer yeesh

1 Like

I agree, Ive tried a couple times and I had problems with streaks and I just can never get the right skin tone. I am going to try, strictly, the primary method with the Golden paints on one of mine. I did the primary method with my first AA baby, Rowan, but it was when I was using Liquitex and the methods and mediums I was using then made the paint difficult to move around so even though the skin tone looked nice it had a lot of streaks on the backs of the limbs and even on the side of the head. I ended up giving that one to one of my aides who look after me during the day. My most recent one I tried mixing my own colours and I don’t like the colour of her, I took her off sale and will probably give her away as well.

1 Like

Yes getting the correct color is extremely difficult as well, mine always want to go orange or excessively Carmel. Maybe you can find a worth cause, like @Tessa was speaking about CASA or something special like that in your area

1 Like