Past Reborner and getting back to it :))

Hi Everyone :grinning: My name is Norma and my website/and or name of my past reborning was called “CherishedLittleLambs”, that was about 7-8 years ago. I am starting over and see that a lot has changed and I feel a bit overwhelm but excited at the same time. I see now that a lot of reborners are using acrylic paints. How are those working out? Are they permanent? Also noticed that the prices of the kits and reborn dolls everywhere have also gone up…yikes.

I was looking at some silicone dolls to purchase and when I saw the prices, I almost fainted LOL.

Can’t remember where I bought my glass beads for the head and body and I would love if someone can help me as to where to buy.

Thank you so very much and looking forward to seeing your lovely creations.
Hugs
Norma

6 Likes

Welcome back! I took a break from reborning for about a year. I got some cheap kits from bountiful baby to help me get back in the swing of things lol I don’t know about acrylic paints I have GHSP

Maybe you could watch a tutorial or two to get back into the swing of things.
Many people still use Genesis paints, but some use acrylics. When they’ve been cured and sealed they’re permanent. So much that it’s hard to strip it off again, haha.
Bountiful baby sells good quality kits for the lowest price, you can generally also get glass beads from where you buy the kits.

2 Likes

Thank you so much deedee2413. I will certainly do that :blush::blush:

Good idea. I was looking through my stuff and found some BB kits from way back and will practice with those. I also bought some new one from them as well.

1 Like

Hey if they are hard to find discontinued kits you could be able to sell them to another artist who is looking for them.

1 Like

I use Liquitex Professional Soft Body and Hard Body Paints. I’ve always used acrylics. I really like the results I get with the Liquitex and I like that I can just go buy them at Michael’s. They tend to be less expensive than some that are ‘specially formulated for reborning’. There are other high quality acrylic paints that are also good. People recommend what they like and use themselves. Just make sure you don’t use craft paints. They don’t hold up long term. I’ve never had to worry about melting a kit that I love and there’s no risk of possible harm from fumes while baking. As long as the paint is fully cured and sealed it’s very sturdy. It’s also faster because there’s no flashing, baking or cooling to wait for before you apply the next layer. I usually start with the head, and by the time the limbs are done the head is ready for the next layer.
The colors of the vinyls have changed. The newer ones are much lighter so the new and old need to be painted (or neutralized) a little differently.
I buy my glass beads from Abrasive Armory on eBay. They’re considerably less expensive than buying them in 1-2 lb bags.

1 Like

Welcome back, Norma!

OMG, Thank you sooo much for your reply. This has been truly very informative and I am so happy that you have been so graceful in helping me with my questions.
Big hugs going your way.
Norma

1 Like

Welcome back so nice to see our family growing :grin:

I buy glass beads at Abrasive Armory on E Bay. Very reasonable. Welcome.

Hi Shera1. Thank you for the information. I went there but I found, I believe were pellets. Help. Thanks
Hugs
Norma

Welcome back, Norma! I can’t wait to see what you create!

The Mil 3 20-30 sieve are the glass beads I use from Abrasive Armory.

Go to E bay or type in Abrasive armory. Type in glass beads for reborns I use larger size than Jean so they don’t come through the nylons Glass Bead Mil No.1 (12-14) largest.

Welcome back Norma!

See if you can find a local supplier, it costs so much to ship glass beads.

If you are just going to do a baby or two buy them here at BB, they won’t charge you more for shipping them, it isn’t a bad deal and you can pick up the other stuff you need also.

Hi Gabriell. Thank you. I did purchase them from here. Can you tell me are people still using the fine glass beads from Harbour Freight? I remember using them at that time for the limbs and then use the other for the body and head. A lot has changed since then LOL.
Hugs
Norma

1 Like

From what other people have said I think the fine glass beads from Harbor Freight tend to be kind of dusty but I’m not sure because I haven’t used them myself.

I have some but the only size I seem to be able to to get from them is the fine as sugar beads, but they are good for heads and limbs. I have a HF close to home so I haven’t checked online, I don’t want to pay the shipping.