PAISLEY my 4TH BABY & 2ND ROOTING JOB!

Hi everyone, I just Finished Paisley. She is my fourth baby. I am really happy with her but I would love any comments or suggestions you might have. I rooted her whole head. This is only my second time rooting. I am reading on here that it is good to root sparsely though. I really hope you all like her.

wHAT DO YOU GIRLS THINK?

Kim - what a lovely baby! I’ve always wanted to do Paisley - you did a fabulous job on her.

Thank you so much for looking and replying. I was quite discouraged to see that 60 people viewed my doll but never commented. Thank you for taking the time to say a few kind words. It was encouraging to me.

You are doing very well for your fourth baby! Congrats!

Your baby Paisley is awesome! What kit is that, by the way - has a great face.

Thank you so much.For looking at my baby doll. And your nice comment. …it is actually the Paisley sculpt by Denise Pratt.

Paisley was the very first BB kit I did and it was the first Genesis paint baby I did. Well, let’s just say—yours looks very much alive compared to mine! You have created a very nice skintone. I do have a question—what color are you using for creases? It appears to be rather orange looking. I use BB’s paint for creases. I add a little with each layer I do and let it build up rather than all in one step. You did a good job rooting. There are many tutorials out there that will help you out and it gets better with just plain ol’ practice. Keep going and be proud of your 4th baby!!

I have really been having a hard time with the creases. I use BB’s paints for that but i always get it on to thick. I,got some suggestions today so i am going to,give it a try!! Thank you for your help!! I really do appreciate it!!

Um ok. I’m gonna my overly honest out spoken self.

1. I’m not an expert.

2. your rooting looks a bit clumpy but certainly better than 4th baby!
    — use a much finer needle, … Uggg hard to explain in text. Gonna post a tiny video.

3. I’m not an expert! Lol

4. your paints look too heavy and not enough depth.
    a lady here… Can’t remember who gave the utmost best advice that helped me. Oooo it was Marlen!
    ---- slow down, use many, many , many layers of very thin paint.
    ------ let fully dry between each layer , then take a pointed cue top and slowly rub and blend.

5. back up from that cutie and with each couple of layers take her in the sunlight, shade and any all light and check your layers in each step.

6. I made my paisley third baby in! Sold her for $80.00!!
    My point is always remember your learning and perhaps even get paid to learn. But just take it slow and move on to a different baby for a few hours for better clarity.
    Wanna see my worst baby? Lolol is this like showing fat rolls? Kidding.

7. I’ve noticed if you let your layers cure (let sit a day or two) the paints really change.
    And perhaps that’s what’s happening with your babies. Not letting it cure before adding another layer?

Finally your baby is cute. Aren’t all babies cute? Strive to slow down and they will look better.

did I mention I’m not a expert?
Hope I’m not hated for being honest.

Oh so this is the baby that had you discouraged. I think it looks good for 4th baby and like someone said my 4th baby sold cheaper then now for sure. As for the not sparse rooting. That is not for everyone. I just had a custom ordered to be delivered in August who plainly stated she hates that look. She wants a regular head of hair as she said. So honestly not everyone wants that look. Congrats on finishing her. I have a paisley just waiting to be painted in my room and if I ever get caught up I will do it. I am not an expert I will be reborning as of November 2012. Just keep going and the take it in the sunshine is good advise, Things show in the sun that does not show otherwise.

She’s cute and yeah rooting takes a long long time to perfect but you are doing great she is real cute

I think she looks good! I have a problem with the creases and this is what i do now. I dont always paint the creases on the bottom of the feet. I just blush them. I mix my crease color with thinning medium instead of my mona lisa. You just want to highlight them. Don’t make them look painted. You can always add to them. I usually go over my creases 2 times. Bake between each coat. You can always fix them before you bake. Ane then i use a small mop brush and blend them. Don’t use a make-up wedge cause they can remove the paint. And remember after you apply your paint blend with your large mop brush. I too am still learning. You are going to get better before you know it. Keep up the good work. No two reborners paint their babies the same way. That’s why all the babies are one of a kind.

Kym, I agree that for a 4th baby your Paisley is very good.

I’m going to tell you what I do with rooting even now after doing it for years.
*I root with several needles. 43g - 1 barb, 42g crown, and 42g - 3 barb for vinyl that hates to be rooted. As I root I remove any horrible plugs being careful to always aim the needle toward the point I have marked as my crown.
*After I am finished rooting I get a cup of coffee and start plucking…I dampen the hair and part it from crown to left temple, and working around the head I part it in 1/4" increments and make sure I have no plugs. (leaving just 1 or 2 hairs per hole). I also make sure if there are places with too many follicles in a clump I clean up that spot. If I find a bald spot that stands out I will fill it in.
*As I work the hair this way I pull out the little tiny short hairs that are sticking out of the holes that didn’t break off. (I root from the end)
*After plucking I dampen the hair and comb it all straight back, from side to side and all forward. I look at it very closely always looking for evenness of follicles.
*when I am happy with the hair I finally glue the inside and set it on a floor register for a day to dry completely. Sometimes this part of the process can take me days. The head always look so much better after I’ve tended to it this way.

The things I really look at when I am strolling through Ebay are the hair, lips, nails, and creases. So while I am working on my babies these are the things I obsess over. I hope all of our comments and tips help you move forward with this craft. I really does just take lots of practice and patience.

These are such awesome tips everyone and I am so thankful you shared them with me. Can’t wait to get started on my next baby. How long does a baby usually take you? a day? 2 Days? a week? You girls are so wonderful!!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

If I devote my time solely to painting, I would say it takes me over the course of three days. My time each day is about 5 or 6 hours. I bake between each layer. So, that’s alot of baking and alot of cooling time. I have now made sure I’m working on a second baby so that I have something to do while the other is cooling.

That is actually a great idea!! I think having a second baby to work on between drying times would be fun to try. Thanks! I am also going to slow down…do lots more layers…thin layers…and enjoy it.

— Begin quote from “CindyM”

*After I am finished rooting I get a cup of coffee and start plucking…I dampen the hair and part it from crown to left temple, and working around the head I part it in 1/4" increments and make sure I have no plugs. (leaving just 1 or 2 hairs per hole). I also make sure if there are places with too many follicles in a clump I clean up that spot. If I find a bald spot that stands out I will fill it in.
*As I work the hair this way I pull out the little tiny short hairs that are sticking out of the holes that didn’t break off. (I root from the end)
*After plucking I dampen the hair and comb it all straight back, from side to side and all forward. I look at it very closely always looking for evenness of follicles.

— End quote

Cindy, I am still chuckling as I read your post… I can’t help but think about the mother monkey or chimp that grooms her baby’s hair… The picture of you making your rooting perfect is still in my head… Thanks for the giggle…

I like the black and white picture. And I agree with some hair comments. Looks a little pluggy, if that’s a word. But great for your fourth baby. Also not an expert. I’m doing 2 Paisley’s myself.

http://www.mysmiley.net/free-winking-smileys.php

And that’s the truth Pia. Hair is one of the things I obsess over and wish I could use the forked needle better to really root one hair at a time. The extra time it took me to root would balance out the extra time I take now to clean up the plugs.