Painted Hair

So I was kind of dreading rooting hair right now. I have been wanting to try painted hair, but like trying anything new it’s a bit intimidating. Even though I come from a background of painting, painting realistic hair seems a bit scary to get it to look right. So I just dove in! I started out marking out my pattern and filling it in with the prisma colored pencils. Then I am going over that with the genesis paints, each layer a bit darker. Lets just say I’m in love sooooo far! I still have lots more to do. This is just the VERY beginning. I just wanted to post some pics so far.

— Begin quote from “MyFriendLizzy”

So I was kind of dreading rooting hair right now. I have been wanting to try painted hair, but like trying anything new it’s a bit intimidating. Even though I come from a background of painting, painting realistic hair seems a bit scary to get it to look right. So I just dove in! I started out marking out my pattern and filling it in with the prisma colored pencils. Then I am going over that with the genesis paints, each layer a bit darker. Lets just say I’m in love sooooo far! I still have lots more to do. This is just the VERY beginning. I just wanted to post some pics so far.

— End quote

I don’t know why you ever doubted yourself, THAT HAIR IS VERY BELIEVABLE!!!

Yes - it is beautiful!!

Judy

Beautiful hair! I still haven’t tried painted hair but you have inspired me.
Mary

Hair is gorgeous… Don’t overdo it, I think it looks nice right now… Isn’t this your summer swap kit?

Yes Pia it is. I wasn’t sure about doing painted hair because of a lot of the FINE paint brushes just weren’t fine enough to look like individual strands of hair. And a lot of them after the first time you use them the bristles fan out and they aren’t FINE brushes anymore. But I finally found a set at HOBBY LOBBY for only $4.99 that were the finest I have seen. So far I have used only one of the brushes to do the eyebrows and the head, and I think it works perfectly! And I started out using the DARK UMBER prisma pencil. I will probably post a start-to-finish tutorial when I am completely done. I have been taking pictures at every step.

Look forward to the tutorial!

Well for me it is easier. Myself having a crazy A.D.D. mind that likes to go a mile a minute, painting has always been a way for my mind to slow down, tune things out and relax. I have found in the two heads I have rooted so far I was getting stress out over it. Even though near the end of rooting head #2 I think I finally figured out how to do it RIGHT, and the rooting was coming along so much faster and I wasn’t getting frustrated. But just the thought of rooting pushed me to try the painted hair and see the difference between the two. This is only my third baby. So in a sense I have just been given my “ROOKIE” jersey, so who knows. I do love to be able touch, brush and style rooted hair. Just like most things, they become easier the more you practice. I just need to make more babies!!! haha

Great Job!! Before I painted my first hair I bought a BB monkey and practiced on it. I wasn’t worried about making mistakes cause I was making it for my grandson. That was really fun. And I practice with different paint brushes and thick and thin strokes. Also it helped me figure out the right consistency of the paint so it would go on right. Like I said it was fun and no stress.

Looks really good, very natural.

You’re doing A great job! It looks very natural

Sorry it didn’t notify me that there were any new posts here! Hmmmmm
I will post some of the finished pics since the new mommy has already seen her. I will work on putting a tutorial together soon.