Paint coming off?

Hey everyone, I have a baby that I’ve had for over a year, I had to ship him back to his artist, his paint was coming off? I’ve been told that’s a common problem for BB kits to have. I did handle my baby a lot, so that could be some of it. But I was always careful with him. Is the paint not sticking a common problem for other reborn companies too?

I don’t believe that has anything to do with BB. It could be excessive handling or potentially the paint wasn’t set / baked well enough or a combo of both.

Some other things that dawned on me is whether they are ever left in direct sun light or hot cars, anything like that. Do you know what kind of paint was used? If you have pics that might help us figure it out.

3 Likes

My kids have reborns from BB kits that I painted in 2015 and their paint is not coming off… and they are often on the floor and in the totes of toys. They are not varnished or weighted and I used GHSP (Genesis Heat Set paints)

I agree it is not a kit or company fault.

5 Likes

3 Likes

The first 2 pictures are when he first came home, the last 2 are before he got sent back to his artist

I love the contrast between his hair and eyebrows!

Thank you, i thought it would make him unique

Hmmm. What kind of paint was used?

Genius heat set paint was used

Hmmm. Was he sealed with matte varnish?
I’ve heard of the paint disappearing if the doll isn’t sealed. But that’s all sculpts. Not just BB.

I don’t know that I would sit a reborn on rocks like that. It’s bound to get scratched. Reborns are art dolls.

6 Likes

Genesis does not technically require a sealant or varnish if it is baked on properly. Reborns should be stored out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources. These may cause fading as well as frequent handling. I really do not think this is a kit issue.

2 Likes

Didn’t look like it was heavily painted to begin with. Genesis paints can and will rub off any doll with lots of handling. It can vary due to many factors. I have seen it happen on fingers and toes etc most often.

3 Likes

If you search threads on BB. Several artists say that dolls without varnish lost color over time.

That said. If the doll is handled a lot it can and does affect the paint.

3 Likes

I’m wondering if maybe powerders were used.

Genesis paint is permanent. So is a permanent marker. Guess what? Permanent markers will and DO wear off! Same thing with genesis paint. I always varnish over the paint to protect it. My daughter has a BB kit painted with genesis and varnished, it has lasted 5 years. Not a speck of paint loss. And like @jlesser it’s been tossed around and played with a lot! :grin: it’s just my humble opinion, but I think that as artists we should varnish to protect our hard work and keep our customers happy :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Agreed!

1 Like

Agreed. I can’t sell a doll without it being varnished.

3 Likes

If it’s handled a lot, the paint will come off. It has nothing to do with BB vinyl. I’ve got an expensive non BB kit and it’s wearing off too.
Their clothes and everything around them rubbing against the vinyl sort of acts as a very light sandpaper. It doesn’t matter if it happens a few times, but over time the paint can rub off.
The sun can also ‘bleach’ the paint.

1 Like

Also, not to be mean, but I wouldn’t guarantee my work after over a year with free repairs esp if the doll isn’t handled properly. Unless you are paying her for the repairs. The rock picture is an indication to me that she’s just a play doll. :thinking:

2 Likes