Overseas Shipping and custom fees and taxes?

It’s been many years since shipping overseas. I told my buyer she was responsible for customs fees and taxes. Neither of us checked into it. Unfortunately they chose my package to hold at customs and check it out. Seller told me she thinks it is going to cost her $200 in fees and taxes! Yikes. Anyone have experience with this including a package being held in customs?

Wow! That’s crazy. I’ve only shipped to Canada. But I put “reborn doll TOY” on the description and nobody has ever had to pay a customs fee when I labeled it that way.

1 Like

We have no way to know how much taxes and customs fees are in another country. I believe it depends on the contents and value of the package so it can vary.

1 Like

What country is that? I had inquiry from Australia this week, but I told her that I cannot calculate or predict customs fees.

1 Like

It was Germany. Found a site that said 27% Value of Tax and another fee. UGH.

1 Like

Holy cow! 27% tax? And I thought our US taxes are high.

2 Likes

I put on it doll and clothes. Buyer asked about putting in as a gift but told her with my luck they would hold it in customs and didn’t want to get caught doing that. Glad I didn’t. Just never realized it may be that much. Makes me second think shipping overseas.

I think all European buyers should be redirected to our lovely Aptir @rebornsbyzebra since she is in France. :wink:
April, do you pay customs between EU countries?

3 Likes

I’m in the Netherlands. The fees are insane. I’d love to order from BB more often but even when they sent me a free kit as a gift I was charged with a little over €40 in customs fees.
If I order maybe two kits plus bodies I pay about $30 in shipping from BB and I get maybe €50 in customs fees.
So I can imagine a full reborn being crazy expensive.

2 Likes

@YelenaRey No, not if I buy inside the EU but Germany does have a lot of taxes and higher shipping than most…still they have the most doll shops so I either buy from them or Dolls So Real in the US https://www.dollssoreal.com/?ls=enbecause they ship with USPS and I rarely have to pay duty fees because its random when you ship through USPS instead of Fed Ex or UPS.
I cant buy from BB either, the shipping and fees are too high. I also buy from Macphersons in Canada https://macphersoncrafts.com/ sometimes because the duty fees are always the same no matter what I buy whereas they go higher with the amount when I buy through BB…also shipping is cheaper. Dolls Garden in Germany http://www.dollsgarden.com/ sells all BB kits and Once So Real in Germany http://www.oncesoreal.com/index.php?shop_ID=1&language=de&sessID=rua831hmk3dq8e1hqcqs6u3e00 has recently started selling the realborns, I just pre ordered Alma the other day.

@laurie depending on the shipping company they can charge more depending on the price of the article you are shipping. I use Colissimo which hands over to the countries postal service so if I ship to the US that is USPS. As far as the EU goes if the shipping company is DHL (the worst!) or UPS and Fed Ex the fees can be very high. Its not the country that charges these high fees, its the shipping companies themselves.

3 Likes

For Australia - We will be charged 10% of the value listed on the customs label - package will be held until paid. Rarely is a package opened and inspected - that seems to fall under the Quarantine Inspection Service if something organic is detected via XRay. Small samples of the glass beads and polyfill should deter them from pulling the baby apart.

The customs duty seems to be on items valued at over $1000.00 AUD so regardless of the actual value of the reborn in materials its what is declared on the label, and sellers will put what they received for the reborn - not for cost of materials. Accuracy on the label would be important if ever an insurance claim was filed.

They are ensuring they get what they miss in goods and services tax. It sucks but it is what it is. I never get charged a customs fee for BB supplies.

1 Like