OK, on this "sparse rooting" thing

So, I’ve read the posts, watched some tutorials, and it looks to me like rooting 1 hair at a time one follicle away from each hair isn’t sparse rooting? Is that what people consider “sparse?” Seems like that’s “thick” rooting? I’m confused!

I wanta know this too!

From what I understand, sparse rooting isn’t where it is just one hair per follicle but also more space between the follicles resulting in very thin, very spaced out hair but spaced out evenly. So hair could be done with one hair per follicle but tightly packed together and make for a thick head of hair. I guess there is really two different principles involved. One is the number of hairs per hole and the other is the number of holes. Really sparse rooting would be one hair per hole and maybe half as many holes if you are talking about a doll and not a baby!

yes, you have to space them farther apart as well. it is hard to sparse root because it doesn’t look right while you are doing it!! Just remember, you can always go back and add more. 1 hair per follicle means it will look natural and not pluggy, but if you put them close together… you get a TON of hair… as i learned on my first doll. I will look for the tutorial i used and you can see about how close to put them

here you go. hope this helps
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19003

I used that tutorial too, but it doesn’t really seem “sparse” to me… Katy86 does sparse rooting… perhaps she will give us a tip…

I saw that tutorial also, and I agree, there are 2 things to keep in mind:
a) rooting 1 hair at a time, and
b) not real close to each other

I get paranoid over the blank spaces–they seem too big. but I’m also rooting more than 1 hair at a time with the needles I’ve been using, but have changed that. That made the head look pluggy-sparse, if there is such a thing!

Katy86 is probably out playing in the sun if she’s not making babies–we’re gonna have to get stern with her. Katy, where the heck are you?

When I do it, I am pretty random honestly. I root from the middle of the strand and with sparse rooting, do 1in ‘lines’ at a time. I will do two ‘lines’ before lifting the hair. Ummm… Trying to exPlaine better…When I lay the hair down and needle the hair about 2mm apart each stick, then do it again, then lift and look. I will not root in straight lines, but more jagged lines because hair doesn’t grow straight like that. It’s random. When I am done I wet it and look and any bald spots I do the same thing and fill it in.

As far a hairline placement, I use the temples as guides. I eye the back corner of the temple and root a hair or two there to mark it on both sides, then come about an inch forward on the forhead, and root a line there. Then fill in both sides. In the end I add some temple hairs and forhead hairs.

I hope that makes sense… It’s so hard to explain it.

— Begin quote from “Katy86”

When I do it, I am pretty random honestly. I root from the middle of the strand and with sparse rooting, do 1in ‘lines’ at a time. I will do two ‘lines’ before lifting the hair. Ummm… Trying to exPlaine better…When I lay the hair down and needle the hair about 2mm apart each stick, then do it again, then lift and look. I will not root in straight lines, but more jagged lines because hair doesn’t grow straight like that. It’s random. When I am done I wet it and look and any bald spots I do the same thing and fill it in.

As far a hairline placement, I use the temples as guides. I eye the back corner of the temple and root a hair or two there to mark it on both sides, then come about an inch forward on the forhead, and root a line there. Then fill in both sides. In the end I add some temple hairs and forhead hairs.

I hope that makes sense… It’s so hard to explain it.

— End quote

Thanks… I knew you would come through for us…

No prob. Hope that made a little sense! When I say do two lines, I do the second over the first. That gives a nice sparse look. I do 3 for a slightly thicker l sparse look.

Katy, thanks for the help. I’m using a different needle, and it seems to make a difference. But now I have to continue my thicker rooting to make it all look right. Will do the next head entirely different. Hope you’re not sunburned!

Hmmm… I THINK I get it… maybe doing a rooting job on one of my heads would get it to really sink in for me! LOLOL
Wha’??? No go???

OK, it’s working, looks better than I thought it would. Thanks for the help–I’m starting to catch on!