OK - Help me out here --------------------

A woman orders a reborn from me (originally saying she lost her son 19 weeks into her pregnancy) and could I make a boy baby that would resemble him had he been born. OK - no problem. We settle on Gena and she makes her deposit promptly. I begin reborning and send her photos of my progress, she likes him and when I am finished the balance is paid by a man who I assumed was her boyfriend (per her e-mails). I shipped and it was delivered today (as she said she would be home from work). I receive an e-mail saying: “My teenage daughter just ordered one of these without my permission. I want to know how she paid for this? Her name is --------”.

What do I do? Do I answer the Mom and explain it all or do I contact my customer or do I just leave it up to them to work it out? The e-mails I received from my customer were very mature and I had no way to know it was a teenager (she could be 13-19; who knows) but I don’t want to betray her trust in me either.

Wow! I would state that the sale is final and it is up to her to work out the issue between her and the daughter. After all, it was not your fault it happened. You could send her all the correspondences you had from beginning to end and then state you had no idea you were being lied to but for all you know you are being lied to now… If she really feels like she has been the victim of CC fraud she can file a chargeback with her CC company. That would be bad for you…What a mess!

2 Likes

She might not file a fraud claim. If she does someone will probably file criminal charges against the daughter.

1 Like

Too late. Here is what Judy said:

The doll was already paid in full before I shipped. That’s not a problem. The issue is the “mother” saying how did her teenage “daughter” pay for it. Well she paid the deposit thru PayPal under her (the daughter) name and address and the final payment was made by a man (who I am assuming is the daughter’s boyfriend). I think the mother just wants to be sure her “daughter” didn’t pay with the “mother’s” money or account.

I’m probably a simpleton but seems to me the problem lies with the woman and her daughter. You made the doll, it was paid for, you shipped it. That’s all you can do unless I’m missing something here.

1 Like

I would definitely let the mother and daughter work it out. The doll was a business transaction between you and whomever, and you are not obligated to provide any further information unless it is a criminal case.

1 Like

I might add that if you have tracking info, please keep it on hand. If a chargeback is made then you need to show that the doll was delivered to them at their address. A signature confirmation would even be better,
Mary

If there even is a daughter, do you know if she’s a minor? If she exists, and she’s of age, you probably shouldn’t be sharing any information about her transaction with a third party. I’m just asking because you do have to meet certain requirements to get a paypal account, and I’d hope they are not giving them out to 13-year-olds these days. This is definitely a bit of a pickle you’ve been put in!

1 Like

OK ladies - I am playing detective. I go to facebook and type in the “daughters” name and do the same for the “mother”. They both come up with the town to where I shipped and the daughter (according to some posts by the mother) will probably graduate high school this year.

So I guess there is a mother/daughter. I think maybe I will just wait a while to see if I get any more correspondence from the daughter saying she “received the doll” or the mother saying “why don’t you answer my e-mail”. And then address the problem. They probably now both know the whole story from both sides and I don’t want to create any waves for them or ME.

What do you think?

1 Like

It sounds like the daughters boyfriend paid for something the mother may not have found appropriate for her daughter to accept. When my children were teenagers I was always leery about things that 'showed" up that I didn’t purchase,
Mary

But from a legal standpoint, if the daughter is not a minor and you give out her private information to a third party, you need to find out if you can get in trouble. Where I live, we have very strict policies on that, punishable by very expensive fines. You need to protect yourself first.

What a crazy mess. You were contracted to make a doll, you received a down payment and then payment in full.
You shipped finished doll and it was received. You completed your portion of the transaction. It really isn’t our job
to police other peoples homes or their ebay and paypal accounts. If the ‘mom’ has a problem with the ‘daughter’ let her contact you and arrange for a return…on your terms of course.

1 Like

Like I said - after I received the mom’s e-mail I sent it to the daughter saying “please explain” because we had a really good dialog during the reborning. I did not hear back from her saying she loved him (which she did say from the photos) - so I am assuming they are working out their issues and maybe they both love him now - - - who knows. But I am going to let “sleeping dogs lie” right now and will only address this issue should I hear back from either one.

4 Likes

So does the girl have the doll now? Does tracking show it has been delivered?

Those were my thoughts as well and what I was saying to begin with.

Oh yes - she has the doll. That is what triggered the e-mail I guess. My own thinking is that the mother thought perhaps the girl may have used her credit card or account to purchase. No more news from either of them,.

1 Like

Maybe it is all settled among them now and you won’t hear anything else. Especially if a boyfriend or someone else bought it for her.