Newbies -

What is the most beneficial thing you’ve learned that has made the biggest difference in your reborning?

7 Likes

For me it was following a tutorial and realizing I could mix paint. Especially premixed bountiful baby paints that I got with the starter kit because I never used them cause the colors were to warm for me. Was a total game changer!

4 Likes

My biggest thing was learning to be adventurous. I was terrified to mess anything up, so my first doll didn’t have veins, mottling, eyebrows, or really anything. I was too nervous, but once I got more comfortable with it, it went much better.

4 Likes

For me, using a kabuki brush has made a tremendous difference! It allows me to get in all of the creases so there isn’t a buildup of paint.

3 Likes

What do you do with it?

1 Like

For example, if I’m painting in between toe or fingers, I place the paint, and pounce it, instead of using a sponge. It makes a world of difference and it’s easier to blend!

3 Likes

Realizing you can strip! When I first started my babies were super pale, as I was afraid to have too bold of color…then the next was wayyy to colorful lol
So definitely, stripping lol

2 Likes

Ooooooh I may have to try that then! You don’t spread to much color around? Or lose to much?

1 Like

I think I have to do more layers because the brush absorbs some of the paint, but I can’t stand having “dirty” creases so to me, the extra time is well spent!

2 Likes

I should probably note that I use air dry. Not sure if that works the same with ghs?

3 Likes

For me the biggest lesson I’ve learned was from @YelenaRey…told me it’s okay to use a rainbow of colors because the more colors the more definition (in mottling…I was only using one color for mottling). She also told me my paint was too thin…which explains why the first baby I did took 4 rounds of red, yellow, blue (primary method) before I finally saw a very slight color change and why it took 4 days worth of doing nothing but creases to finally start seeing them. All of y’all here have contributed in helping me in some way, but the biggest difference was Yelena and her tough love. :blush:

8 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: shes a jem

7 Likes

Mine was finding out there were other ways to paint besides Denise Pratt’s reborning video. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

10 Likes

I think it’s great to follow a tutorial and branch out and try new things and experiment :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: that’s what art is :heart_eyes: I did too much experimenting trying to figure things out before I learned how things worked I think

4 Likes

When I started With genesis I didn’t even realize there was anything other than that way of doing it. I did not have this forum or anything else to give me any other insight.

4 Likes

I can not even imagine! My fear would be using things that wouldn’t hold up in the long term

4 Likes

Turning the neck hole away from me when rooting improved my rooting a ton.

4 Likes

Sealing painted hair using sealer / varnish on a soft bristled make up brush, brushed on in the same direction as the hair.

That people don’t pounce their mottling on. I’d been doing that wrong forever and when I changed that aspect my babies really started to improve.

Sap green wash at the end makes everything pop!

And always keep toothpicks and pointed q-tips handy.

6 Likes

How is the mottling supposed to go on?

1 Like

How do you get sap green?

1 Like