Newbie with cold feet

I’ve started on a kit and was gung-ho about getting my first one done but I kept thinking the paint was wrong and I’ve erased the poor fella once already. I know I need to strip him again and start all over but how do I get over the feeling that I’m screwing up? I know my first won’t be the best and I wish I’d started with parts first but oh well. My problem is knowing if the paint is the right consistency because I seem to use A LOT of thinner but only a spot of paint, yet it seems to be too dark. I’m mostly just putting my worries out in the air, I have to get over it because I have a total of 6 kits now after winning a crazy low bid on eBay. I want to be a great reborn artist and I’m execeptionally creative with anything I try…but why can’t I get over this fear of messing up the babies? Sigh…

I too am relatively new to this art and we all want to be great reborn artists so don’t give up. Your paint sounds like you are mixing it right, very thin is the consistency you are looking for. Many layers and bake in between each layer, Some of the artists with more experience don’t always bake between layers but for beginners I would recommend it. There are lots of tutorials out there and wonderful ladies on this forum to answer all your questions, just ask. If your paint is still too dark try adding more thinner, sometimes you will barely notice a change in color (on the vinyl) but you will have a much nicer finished product in the end. Just keep going, not all first reborns are perfect,

OOPS, I am assuming you are using GHSP.

1 Like

Yes, I’m using GHSP. I think because it only looks like the vinyl I think it’s too thin and overdo it. I know I screwed up and used the Blush color all over him the first time and he was starting to look weird, so I started over. If I can get over the “vinyl only” appearance after I put on the first layer I would be okay but it doesn’t look like anything is on him at all, so I think it’s wrong.

Don’t give up. Keep going, someone on here will be able to guide you better than me, I am too new also.

I appreciate your input regardless!

1 Like

Oh, and by the way------you aren’t screwing up—You’re LEARNING !!!

1 Like

Think of the first one as your test baby. No expectaions and no stress. Enjoy the experience.

1 Like

My first 3 kits were really bad. They ended up really chalky and I was very upset. I couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong. So I 're watched the video from BB. I still didn’t KNOW what I did wrong. I wasn’t paying attention to what was being said either. I’m stubborn. I then watched quite a few video’s on YouTube. Low and behold I finally got it. My paint was too thick. And all of what I needed in the first place was on the DVD from BB. But I was still upset because I felt I had ruined three already. I did not know that I could strip them - I learned that on here. I finally got the paint correct and yes it takes several coats. It’s so worth it! I love how after a while you start to see a baby looking the way it should. It is patience and time. You will get the hang of it. My other problem was with the color - the flesh #2 is just to light for my taste. So I use #6 or #7… Everyone is different on how they paint. I have seen quite a few great babies on here. Everyone is very helpful and very friendly. You will get the hang of it… Then you will be hooked like the rest of us! :slight_smile:

1 Like