Newbie asking for top tips for beginners

I would probably burst into tears if my first baby’s head collapsed! Any baby actually. I think I will always lay the heads down after hearing this. Thanks everyone

Also may I ask- I bought the beginners kit from BB .are the four brushes that come with it all I will need? Or would you suggest a few others as well? I guess my biggest worry is I will start and have to stop and wait a week or so when I realize there’s something I didn’t get in the starter kit that I really need. I did also order the plugs, creases paint and some type thinner that came in a jar. I hope that’s all I need . You all are So kind for helping me out. Lots of wonderful advice :yum:

I did that, too…before I even ordered a kit or anything, I read pretty much ALL the posts on this forum.
I collected “tips” and saved them on my desktop.
I also saved photos of the reborns I liked the looks of.
And I read other reborn forums and sites, just to get more information. You can’t do too much research.
On the other hand, you really don’t learn how until you actually start reborning.

The amazing thing about reborning is that there is always something new to learn. ALWAYS…

You’ll need lots of makeup wedge sponges (dollar store). Pluck some out for mottling layers. Others I use to pounce paint off the doll as I go.
I ordered lots of nail art paint brushes off amazon.com because they are cheap and are great for detailing. A couple different sized Molly mop brushes are important…at least to me.

I can’t paint without these colors:
Burnt Umber
Yellow ochre
Quinacridone Crimson 01
Purple 04

I also like to have Genesis red, yellow and ultramarine blue - primary colors that allow you to mix any skin tone from it.

I’ve been using a lot of thinning medium lately and I love Satin Varnish.

Awesome tips. Do you use the wedges more than once or toss each time you do a new any or color?

That’s all I’ve been doing for three months lol. Absorbing all I can. I’m making a binder with all the info you lovely people are giving me .:revolving_hearts:

Absolutely!

I use mine over and over. No need to rinse or anything. Just use with same colors.

So, I’m not sure what comes in a starter but really if you are brand new and never really done any sort of painting - for your first bubs, the easiest thing is to make sure you have at least the pre-mix colours…(If you are an artist prior and know how to mix colours then go for all your primary colours and add things like burnt umber, ochre, Quinacridone Crimon etc…) BUT if you don’t know how to mix colour, it is easiest to use the premix till you get comfortable (I would suggest that you stay away from the warm blush though…lol) so….Baby Flesh, Creases, Veins, Lip/blush, Nails, eyelid purple, eye brow brown and I would add Flesh 08 - those are good colours for beginners to start with- mostly you will just add thinner to the colours and they are ready to use - as you learn and get more brave with using colour, you will start mixing your own after awhile…(you will learn about neutralizing washes as you go but if you have a BB kit, they have nice vinyl that needs very little to no prep work on many of their kits…)
So your paints (as mentioned above)

Thinner - I use slow dry as it gives you time to get all your paint right…If you use a fast dry thinner, you have to be quick and careful that you get it right the first time round because once it dries, if you try to go back and correct something, you will take the paint off and it is difficult to ‘patch’ it up.

Brushes - I would suggest starting with

Mop brushes

4 - 3/8" (small enough and great for mopping creases and keeping them nice an blended some larger Mop brushes can be too bulky to get into some of the tighter areas
2 - 1/2" - great for all round blending in larger areas
1 - 1" mop - perfect for blending out edges of blushing on face, sides of feet, hands, etc to soften it and blend your colours
1 or 2 - Filbert - perfect for lips and nail beds, etc
2 - #1 Round - great for creases, adding thin skin, getting inside mouth an nostrils, etc
2 to 4 - 20/0 Liners - perfect for brows, veins, nail tips, etc

Cosmetic wedges - make sure they are the nice dense firm ones…some you get from the shops are too porous and just swell up terribly - they waste your paint and you don’t have good control. You will want quite a few of these as you need to pounce Flesh tones, Blushing and Varnishes…some you will pinch out holes, or make irregular etc for your mottling and flesh layers and some you will leave smooth etc…here are examples of several different sponges for different effects

this one is great for applying flesh layers

This is just one mottling sponge - you can tear out chunks as large or small as you like an they don’t need to be uniform - probably better if they aren’t… I use this at the edges of my blushing as well…

Regular smooth sponges can be used for flesh, blushing and varnishes.

Varnishes - would suggest Satin and Matte varnishes and mix them at least 40/60 in favour of matte or some ladies mix them 50/50 - sort of depends in the finish you want…

Paper Glaze - this is perfect for giving wet look to the inside of nostrils, corners of the eyes, lips, nails etc…(doubles as a sealer as well.)

Other things that are nice to have on hand as tools are toothpicks, popsicle sticks, q-tips…
Toothpicks - great for scraping any puddles you may accidentally leave between fingers, creases, etc. perfect for using to apply glue to the eye lids to apply lashes and pushing lashes into place, etc
Popsicle sticks - great for applying E6000 glue to seal eye sockets, can be used to place magnets inside the head for pacifiers, perfect if you have to push a bit of fibrefill up in behind an eyeball inside the socket if the eye is not sitting flush against the vinyl, etc…
Q-tips - well they are great stand by small ‘mop up’ jobs…

So you should have your Kit, Body, Fibrefill, Glass beads, Weighting Sacks (usually nice nylon panty hose that you will use doubled or tripled to hold your beads, Plugs and Neck Ring (unless you improvise and use something else to seal off your limbs.)

You will also need:

E6000 glue to seal eye sockets, glue in magnets, etc
Mod Podge or compatible Water proof glue to glue in hair if you are going to root hair
Tacky glue or compatible to glue on lashes if you are doing an open eyed doll and are not rooting the lashes

Cable ties are always great to have extras on hand in case you have to take the baby apart and re assemble.

Also little extras like Baby scent to make your baby smell baby fresh and things like that…

Most of the the absolute essentials should be in your starter kit but if you are going to be making lots of babies you may want to stock up on a few little extras to make it even more fun…

Happy reborning!!! :smile:

Oh bless you! Such amazing information!!! I’m printing it out!
The reborn I bought in August smelled SOOO wonderful. I asked the artist to send me more. She said she sells it bit won’t tell me exactly what it is. It’s an oil. Any ideas what type? Or one you can suggest? I bought the wafers but tossed them as my personal opinion thinks they smell like what they are- air fresheners. I didn’t like them at all. So I keep buying the tiny vials of unmarked oil the lady that made my baby sells. But like I said she won’t tell me what it is. I bought the soap oils Hobby Libby sells- baby power . They smell good but not As good as this stuff. What do you use?

Oh bless you! Such amazing information!!! I’m printing it out!
The reborn I bought in August smelled SOOO wonderful. I asked the artist to send me more. She said she sells it bit won’t tell me exactly what it is. It’s an oil. Any ideas what type? Or one you can suggest? I bought the wafers but tossed them as my personal opinion thinks they smell like what they are- air fresheners. I didn’t like them at all. So I keep buying the tiny vials of unmarked oil the lady that made my baby sells. But like I said she won’t tell me what it is. I bought the soap oils Hobby Libby sells- baby power . They smell good but not As good as this stuff. What do you use?

Hi, newbie here…I bought glass beads that were, of course, too tiny and went scurrying through the stocking!! Do you advocate putting them in a latex glove? or any other suggestion so that I can use them up?? I don’t want to do anything that is “frowned upon”…ha

Wow what a great idea!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

so that would be acceptable?? I feel like it would be OK…but what do I know??? ha

Don’t use a latex glove because it will break down over time. Use vinyl or nitrile instead.

Thanks.

You can also use the smaller beads in the limbs…one bit of advice though is that I would stuff the feet very firmly with fibrefill, then put the small beads in the lower leg to just above the knee and then fill the rest firmly with fibrefill and cap off and seal…The reason I would stuff the foot first is that the smaller beads pack down and they tend to make the limbs heavier than the bit larger beads and you will have your baby with extra heavy limbs if you fill them fully from the foot up which causes the baby to feel imbalanced and not natural to hold…You can also use them in the dolls head…Just make sure that you triple the stocking for no leakage or use the gloves as per Pia’s advice or you can always make little pouches from non porous fabric and fill those if you want to use the beads in the body and head…

Pia, you have a new picture-----I’s really great! Don’t see too much of you these days, busy?

Sorry I didn’t see this one…lol I am in Australia so we are night time when you are daytime there…I am a night owl and stay up most the night though but this one came through after I went to bed…I answered it on the other topic you posted though…(I use the wafers you don’t care for…lol sorry, I won’t be much help on that one…lol) :smile:

id like to ask .is there a stiff bristle 1 bristle brush for appling eyebrowv hair?
.I have the tinest tip brushes 0/12 etc…but somehow only now and then get a true hair width hair.seems like it would help to have just one stiff bristle. on a brush…i know someone said use thinning medium not mineral spirits.I havent tried that yet.