Newbie asking for top tips for beginners

I saw online, one reborner puts the plugs in the limbs before she washes them :grinning: to keep excess water out.

Here’s a bunch of info for beginners:

http://discourse.bountifulbaby.com/search?q=beginner%20tips

I use Dawn dishsoap to bathe my kit, I don’t get water inside the limbs but I DO wash the inside of the head so there isn’t oily residue in there so your glue will stick after your rooting is finished, Go Slow, take your time, remember DON’T bake until you are satisfied. It is much easier to remedy something that isn’t baked than to realize you don’t like what you have done and then have to strip your kit!!! OH and BTW watch out for that pesky BLUE, it will grab your vinyl and hang on tight!!! Go lightly, very lightly with the blue, you can always add more layers.

As well as purple!! Learnt that recently!!

Im new too…I just did my first 3 dolls…
…what my tips are… let each layer of paint dry completely before baking. Look them over well when dry before baking
If you get a spot too heavy it turns chalky and .you dont want to bake that chalkiness on the doll…

My second tip is watch your parts while baking.I had one head Fen Yen face start to collapse at the end.
I had to stuff it with poyfil fast before it cooled to get her face back to normal.
Also others have said to me…get a thermometer to make sure your heat is just right…

Last i really like custombabydolls.com. tutorials
She caps her limbs and head before washing parts I think it is a good idea so water doesnt get inside but everyone has different opinion on that and i am new
.I think shes easy to follow and has good instructions. and GOOD CREATING!

Firstly, Don’t fear making a mistake…most all problems can be fixed…the ladies above have given excellent advice.

1; On the bath, I do a bath and once it is dry, I wipe over the whole kit with rubbing alcohol…It makes sure there is no residue left from your dish soap or any oils that may have gotten past you and leaves a nice squeaky clean surface to paint on.

2. With Veins - always blend your ends so that there is no beginning or end to your lines… real veins surface and disappear under the skin so you never see the beginning or end of your veins…you can blend them out with a mop brush or even your finger…

Thank you so much :yum:

Thank you! You all are so kind and helpful

My first reborn I bought last summer had two or three light blue marks on her hands. I wondered about that. She’s s beautiful baby but I’ve learned a few things I will do differently just from one or two things I would do differently if I had done her- her arms and legs are heavier than a baby’s should be- I’m wondering if it’s sand? But I love her so much I could never take her apart to take some weight out of her limbs. I’m going to make sure the ones I make are glass beads and weighed realistically.

I use heat set paints. Looking back on my 1st few kits from years back, my biggest early mistake was not using my mop brush on the tiny creases after each skin tone which created paint blotches. Think of the paint as you would a natural makeup, use it to enhance the color without looking like it’s wearing paint. Less IS more! :smile:

Oh yes Star is right alcolhol after washing!I didnt mention that…!Be a pain if paint didnt stick in spots If you havent been on here very long Stars done many many dolls her tips are great ones from a real pro…

I keep hearing that-Hopefully I will remember that as I paint. I did think of one more question- is it best to get low odor thinner? I want my babies to smell good. Not like paint thinner or turpentine!!! Lol

One way to prevent overheating of the head (and the collapse of it) is to precut your eye slits if it’s an open-baby so some of the heat can escape from the inside. Or don’t stand it up with opening to the bottom of the oven. A lot of excess heat builds up inside the head and cause it to get really flimsy or melt.

Mona Lisa from Michaels or Museum brand from an art store. I tried the low odor from hardware stores and Walmart and they didn’t seem to mix as well with the paint.

What I did - in the very beginning when I asked for help is I cut and pasted hints into a document. Then I had it to reference as I went along.

And I read one of the hints here already - TAKE YOUR TIME. I finished my very first baby in 11 hours. He was blotchy and terrible. Now a baby takes me a week to paint because I find its best to paint a bit…do something else and come back to it with fresh eyes. Otherwise I end up with over-blushed, over mottled baby.

I totally agree with Sony72’s post. Don’t rush it. We are all anxious to see the finished bub but honestly, do your self a favor and have a good look at your work at every stage because this is when you can fix mistakes easily. Stripping them back is downright depressing not to mention time consuming ( when you could be starting another doll) and did I mention costly?. Good luck and happy reborning.

When I started out, I read that these dolls needed to have “many, many” layers of paint, so I put many, many layers of paint on them. I developed the ability to make genesis heat set look like a thick coat of spray paint. I was adding layers of paint and not knowing why because I thought I was supposed to. It took time for me to understand that each layer of paint needs to have a purpose (this layer is to blush, this one is to color correct, etc.) and that there is never any reason to put “extra” coats on them just to feel like you’re painting.

Lol …I’m cringing…I’m guilty too.

So closed eyed babies heads need payed flat to bake?

Great advice. I would probably have done the same thing

They don’t have to lay down…it’s your own preference. But it does prevent the head collapse.