Newbie asking for top tips for beginners

Hello, my name is Lisa. I am brand new here and got my first kit for Christmas. I’m eager and a little nervous to start. But SO excited :yum: I’ have my beginners kit, and a brand new Nuwave oven. All I need to do is grab a few more things and set up my work space. I’ve watched many tutorials over the past few months, but thought I’d like to see if I can get some of you ladies to give me one or two tips that you think would be most helpful or helped you as you learned. I’m looking for anything from simple advice to the best tools, to just something you wished you knew when you first began. Thank you so much, and I really appreciate it! Have a wonderful day!

Congrats!!! WARNING THIS HOBBY IS addictive!!! :slight_smile: But do you have any specific questions or anything you want to know.

Hi Lisa and welcome to our forum family. You’ll love it here and there are lots of lovely ladies (and gents) who give fantastic friendly advice and encouragement. My best advice is to take your time and have fun. Most mistakes can be rectified and serve as a good learning experience. If you get stuck, we’re all here to help you x

Hi Lisa!!!

Oh…you are going to have SO much fun!!!

My top tip would probably be…LOTS of THIN layers are better than applying paint too thickly!!!

This just popped in my head:

Make sure you just take your time and work slow. On our first at least on mine I was eager to get her done so I kinda rushed.

Thank you. Do you have to wash your kits before starting? And is it ok to submerge the parts completely when you wash or are you supposed to plug the holes before you wash the parts?

Great to have you join us here :smiley:

Thanks. Where do I find a drying rack? That’s one question I had

Anywhere! They have them at Target, Walmart, anywhere that sells kitchen stuff.

I wash my kits but only the outside, I never fully submerge. I use a baby cloth and baby soap like I am bathing a baby. I just try not to get water inside the head or limbs. :slight_smile:

I use a baby bottle drying rack. You can find it at nearly place that sells baby items. I got mines at Walmart of $7. When I take my kits out the oven. I place them on a countertop on a towel and let them cool. Make sure you let your parts cool before painting a new layer on.

I use dishwashing liquid to wash my kits as it removes oils and grease while cleaning. You can fully submerge them but before painting and baking you have to make sure they are completely dry. It takes usually 24 hours to fully dry and you have to keep tapping the water out every now and then so yeah I’m impatient so I just wash the outside now only.

Looking through the older messages in this forum, I see mention of a Nicole Russell tutorial but I cannot find it on Face book. Anyone know where I can find it?

Just start at the first pic and go through the steps! That’s a great tutorial!

Thanks you

When painting creases be sure to pounce and blend well. May take may thin layers to get them how you want. But don’t just paint them and not blend. They will look “dirty” if they aren’t blended.

I too am new and have learned so many great things from the ladies her on the forum, they are an invaluable and never ending source of information. You’re going to love it here. Begin new myself I don’t have a bunch of advice other than to take your time, have fun and don’t skimp on the prep work like washing your kit. It’s a smack in the face when you get half way through a few layers only to find that the paint won’t stick because you didn’t wash the crud off completely. Check twice …bake once, meaning make sure you’re REALLY checking all the little cracks and crevasses like between the toes, folds & wrinkles, etc before you bake. There’s nothing worse than a cute baby going in the oven and coming out a crusty mess.

Welcome!! I have some tips on my YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/Sydneyblue101/videos
They’re called “For New Artists,” parts 1, 2, and 3.
Something I have learned is that you can never take too much time on each baby and tutorials are SO helpful. Oh, and don’t forget to wash your kits with some Dawny dish soap before you paint. And, Goof Off (find it at BiMart) is great when you make small mistakes on a baby and you need to remove a small bit,

I hope this helps and can’t wait to see pictures of your first baby!

I think the most important and sometimes hardest thing to learn with this art form is, less is more! If you overpaint, you cant fix it wheras if you underpaint, you can always add more. Yes you can strip the kit but its a pain. Go slow and stand back and really take in your work as a whole as you go. I used to stare up close as I painted and not realize I had overdid it. I had many blue overdone babies! I like to take pics and look at those as I go. It gives me a new perspective snd pics up mistakes that the eyes can miss. Your first few babies wont be perfect probably. This is a difficily art form to master but a really fun one! And it is very addicting lol.
I havent painted in over a week and im going nuts. I think im having withdrawals lol.

Also, do not use the warm blush by BB by itself. You will have an oompa loompa baby. If you want to warm up the skin tones, try some burnt umber or maybe an ochre wash very thin. You can use warm blush if you mix it with lots of flesh or another color. Hope that helps and isnt too much Info at once. Sorry, I love reborning andove talking.about it lol

Good luck and feel free to ask for help as you go. Welcome :slight_smile:

Top tip #1…Practice the entire painting & baking process on a test limb first.

Top tip #2…Let the search tool at the top be your friend. Before asking a question that’s been answered over and over, search for the topic first. You’ll be amazed at all the additional info you run across. :slight_smile: