New polio illness

From what I understand from my daughter who is going for her doctorate in education and worked with challenges children . They believe.autism covers a variety of mental problems it seems

.Crossed wiring not mentally unstable.

BTW My son has Tourettes saw a psychiatrist to evaluate and confirm his condition. we tried meds but it made his personality charge became anxious so I took him off lowly The psychistrist agreed said if compulsion became a problem one day where he couldn’t function normally he could go on something .He never has.
.Is your child not able to concentrate why they say meds? Or are they just thinking you expect meds to solve the problem?

.Im not understanding why your child needs a psychologist as that is then an emotional problem not a physical one which autism and asbergers are.
Caused by slight differences in brain function itself which a psychiatrist is equiped to deal with
.A psychologist has just a bachelors degree in psychology. Is not a doctor .So I’m confused
Anyway my son 40 now has Tourettes Syndrome since young It became noticable when he started school and couldnt learn the alphabet dyslexic.He had a tic compulsively sniffing with his nose .He would sit on the couch and rock even younger than that. Maybe 2 or.3 hitting his head on the back of the couch pillow
.Once I noticed the inability to learn certain letters at.5 he was tested and was in special classes throughout grade and high school. Once in special classes could read well. Can fix anything is very high functioning but was always good at sports which I thought was a problem with autism ?Not at all with him .Excellent.So?
He lead’s a normal life except is very taken up with doing things perfectly part of his obsessive compulsiveness
.Ive notice autism etc all seem to have many similarities to my son’s problem but notvexact .Maybe why they consider it autism.?seems to affect the samecareas of the brain.
.Homever his father had the Very same problems so my son’s is inherited .
So I guess really not the exact same although i dont know a lot about Asbergers or autisms other symptoms

as for.as autism being caused by.shots I saw a program on it on PBS .How diseases once annihilated are coming back due to people believing shots caused it
A study was done in Sweden or Switzerland of 1 million children from babies to teens The government or schools insist on a.compete record of illness shots everything there for every child.The outcome was no higher rate of autism in those that had shots than those that didnt…The doctors said the reason people think its shot is autism is generally found to be seen in a child.about the same age as they get shots. Why it’s seems it’s caused autism .

iron lung…I was just wondering what happened to all those people that were on iron lungs. Did the live or die? Are they able to breath on their own now?

My child concentrates fine. He’s a nerd. He loves reading, math, all things nerdy. He moves a lot. So the doctors thought he needed medication to stay still. My though and the school’s thought is let him move. As for the autism diagnosis, I wanted it more for social reasons. He needs social stories and “coaching” to help him learn how to interact appropriately with other kids. He has trouble making friends and doesn’t fit in. I would also like him to be able to have some of the modifications my older son with Aspergers had. My older one had things like cutting out the busy work, special work to meet his advanced intellect, organization help, counseling to coach him on social situations, speech therapy just for social speech, etc. He’s in college now and has access to DARS. They helped him get a job at the college, find extra funding for books etc, get him into social situations. He flourished right away with their help in college. He was chosen for Phi Theta Kappa honor society. He was asked to help tutor computer students. He makes the presidents list every semester. He worked at the library, out of his comfort zone, helping people find books. Now he works in the technology department answering phones at the help desk. He is living with his grandma while going to college. But I have no doubt, he will be able to live a completely independent, extremely successful life. I believe he is so successful because of all the individual help he has gotten along the way. I would like for Raymond to get the same help. But we are in a different school district now. They don’t understand autism like our old district. But it’s a small school and they do understand Raymond. And are able to work with his quirks pretty well without an IEP. I just wish they would help him more socially.

1 Like

Also, my little nerd boy, Raymond knew all of his letters and sounds by 2. He was obsessed with them. Letters and numbers were all he ever wanted to focus on as a baby. I wish he had focused on more age appropriate things like social skills, self help skills etc. But there was no keeping that baby from his books. :wink:

Here is baby Raymond, about 20 months old. This is what he did all day everyday. :heart:️️

3 Likes

My aunt was in an iron lung in the 1950s for a year when she was 5 years old. Polio. She spent the rest of her life in a wheelchair with some arm movement but no function of her legs. Nothing wrong with her brain or breathing though. She died because of pneumonia when she was in her late 50s- her bad scoliosis due to being wheelchair-bound being a factor.
I also used to have “post-polio” adult patients that had had polio decades before and recovered with no or little lasting effects but would have a polio-like illness affect their ability to move and breathe on their own-again. Awful!
I now work in an intensive care for children and have seen a lot of diseases caused by the different bacteria that vaccines prevent- tetanus, pertussis, meningitis-- and know why they were invented in the first place. Makes me so mad when an infant comes in with pertussis (whooping cough) because the family does not vaccinate. Or worse they do believe in vaccination but the baby caught it from someone who doesn’t.

3 Likes

Yes! It’s sad when kids get illnesses that vaccines could have prevented. :confused:

2 Likes

Its wonderful your older child is so successful in life.Lots of help really sent him on an upward path.
If the school is good with Raymonds behavior then no problem.Maybe in that case a psychologist is just the thing to help him

1 Like

Dani interesting to hear what happened to the polio victims.
I never knew
My daughter has been a pediatric nurse for 20 years and never misses a vaccine for her kids .Youngest is 2 years old .She sees it’s all come in the hospital daily knows what can happen no vaccines.If.some of the people against it saw what she does I think they’d have a change of heart.
Innocents is bliss.

2 Likes

So true! So true!

My granddaughter has Alsbergers and can say or sing every word to every Disney movie she’s ever seen. She memorized everything. She has no shocial skills with kids her age because kids pick up that she’s different real quick. She is wonderful with adults though. She has no behavior problems. She really doesn’t like water like a bath but loves to go swimming. She has a time with foods color and textures. Smart as can be though.

2 Likes

My preemie caught RSV as a newborn. That’s all it took for me to keep vaccinating my kids. There was also a story at the time of kids dying from common diseases preventable by immunizations. Do you think kids receive too many at once? My mother had the polio vaccination. It left a permanent scar but she didn’t catch polio.

You sure the scar is not from the smallpox vaccination? Everyone in my generation (born before about 1970) has a small mark on their upper shoulder or thigh. The mark is left from our body reacting to the live virus similar to smallpox that was injected. Our bodies made antibodies to fight that weaker virus and therefore if we were exposed to the smallpox virus we had immunity and the disease was eradicated.

Your poor baby!!! RSV is horrible especially for preemies. In the last 5 years or so they have medication now to help prevent babies from getting it. In Canada where we have universal health care all preemies and babies with health issues that are high risk are given it monthly during RSV season to prevent it. Very expensive but free for those who qualify. It keeps them out of the hospital. A vaccine is in the works too. Thank God!

2 Likes

My sister was born in August of 1971. I was born in July 1972. She got that vaccine and has that scar. I didn’t get it, and don’t have that scar. Weird to be able to pinpoint the time they discontinued it. We are only 11 months apart.

1 Like

I’m not sure. She said polio but makes me wonder. She was born in 1952 and the mark looked almost like danger sign. It’s definitely cut into the flesh and I’d asked about it. She said it was painful but they all got vaccinations because of the polio scare. She’s passed away so I can’t get confirmation from her again.

The RSV is so scary. It was going around that year. I was so scared that first year. He was extremely sickly and didn’t really get better until his 3rd year. The only effect I see now is possible dyslexia that the school won’t check for, and behavior issues. I read a lot and that’s common in preemies or those with a rough start.

He’s definitely a miracle. All my babies are. I remember crying during my antepartum stay and when I came back a few weeks later to have him. I tried to keep him inside longer but I couldn’t without killing us both.

1 Like

So glad your preemie turned out so well. The first years are the hardest

1 Like

They really are. I’m so grateful he’s here. Thank you!

I just noticed this and wanted to tell you there IS a vaccine against CMV that is nearly ready for public consumption!! I was in a study relating to it last year, I received the test vaccine in 3 rounds much like the HPV vaccine. Test results appeared to be as they hoped they would, it seems that the CMV vaccine is highly effective and did not cause any terrible side effects in the test group. So in the next couple of years, adults (and then hopefully children) will be able to get vaccinated against CMV!!

3 Likes

Are adults getting it to

Have they checked studies like down the road 20 or more years. This is a blessing if it works. One of my good friends had it while carrying her baby and it caused severe damage. I had never heard of it before then. Then… when i started bumping into parents I heard of a few other cases. I am not for every vaccine but some are necessary. It is interesting that chicken pox isnt around (at least where I live) and some of the other crucial things like polio.
Now flu, hpv I dont even fool with. Just not a believer.

2 Likes