New here! My First Baby, Looking for Tips and Tricks

When I was 11-12 I had a pretty extensive collection of reborns. After kind of forgetting about them, my mother brought them over to my house since she wanted them out of hers. I’ve since resold them, however it made me want to give it a try myself. I don’t think i did too bad at rooting but I’d like some tips on how to get less hairs in one hole. I’m using a German forked 42 g needle. Also i think I’m going to invest in some prisma pencils for the eyebrows because i had a tough time trying to paint sparse eyebrows. Thanks in advance!

11 Likes

That’s a great first baby. Not just great, stunning! Good job! I use a 42g 3 barb needle when I root and it seems to grab the least hair while still catching 1 or 2.

1 Like

Thank you so much!:blush: I know practice will help but I found myself constantly tweezing out hairs when several were pulled and it was so tedious!!

Yes, beautiful baby!!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! One more brave soul that started with a Big Joe as a first baby!
You did a great job on her and I am very impressed with your rooting - that is a big head and a big rooting job! Your swirl is very pretty and you even mastered the hardest part - eyebrows!
I am not a rooting expert as I just started to fully root my dolls. I use 42g 3 barb needle and pack an extra hair, just like you did. Maybe you can try 42g 1 barb?
Painting eyebrows with prisma never worked for me as prisma only works well on varnished rough surface. Since I started to use Soft touch varnish I gave up on Prisma.

Did you use an air dry or Genesis paint?

Looking forward to see more of your creations.

2 Likes

Bravo, what an amazing first baby! Rooting is fantastic

2 Likes

I totally underestimated the size of this baby and was almost discouraged! Thank you for your tips and encouragement. I used heat set paints on this baby.

1 Like

If that is your first baby you have skillz, lol! Welcome to the Forum. I use the same needle.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

You did a wonderful job on your first baby.

1 Like

Also, one issue I found when painting was when I was painting the creases of the baby (feet, hands, etc.), is that after baking the creases looked a little gritty and dirty. What am i doing wrong?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Did you use ‘Creases’ color from BB set? If yes, stop using it.
It’s the best if you build you creases as you go with every mottling layer and then just do creases with a separate custom mix color - sometimes I use ‘Blood Red’, sometimes Q.Crimson, sometimes both in layers - depends on a skin color of the baby.
Creases should never look dirty.

Yes I did, that must be my issue then! I will definitely build as I go next time. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome. I think you did a good job. Try the 42 gage needles.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Great job! I use a 42g forked needle. I am new at this also.

1 Like

Wow… Sure doesn’t look like most first babies! The rooting is awesome! I think you are a natural!

1 Like

Thank you, I’m so excited to make more babies, learn and improve :slight_smile: I’ve been looking at everyone else’s beautiful work on here for hours and I can only hope to achieve the same level of realism as you guys!!!

1 Like

(Also forgot to mention to everyone that I may or may not have broken many many needles while trying to master the art of rooting :rofl: ) hopefully this is something I’ll grow out of because those things can get expensive when you add it all up!

2 Likes