Need serious rooting advice!

I am currently rooting Charles with black curly kid mohair from Angela’s premium. Nice and soft. I came across 2 major issues.

1. I cut the length in 3. The point (end) root not so bad. The cut end root easily. The middle don’t root at all. I don’t know why. Even if I cut it just in half, the end will not root.

2. The hair didn’t go far in the head. I am affraid that will be an issue when gluing. The hair may fall ?

I am not sure what to do at this point. Take the mohair out and paint hair is not really an option, too many holes. Do I continue ?

Someone has had this problem with this mohair ?

2 Likes

Sometimes when you are rooting Hair from the middle of the strand you have to change needle sizes. I have noticed this with alpaca fiber

2 Likes

Kid mohair is very fine and harder to micro-root. Are you sure you are rooting that middle piece from the correct end? Thinking that may be your problem there. And yes if the hair hasn’t gone all the way through the vinyl it won’t get glued in and will most likely come out with gentle brushing. Someone else may have a solution for this but at the lateness of the evening, my mind’s gone blank.

3 Likes

I tried 42g with 3 barbs with no success. The hair go through the head but came out.
I have tried both ends.

I am sad as I can’t really afford to buy mohair for now. That’s the only one I have that is curly. Don’t know what to do !

1 Like

The same thing happened to me with that type of hair, I ended up using a 44 or 46g, but still wasn’t smooth sailing even then. I had the exact same stress, is it going to come out after glueing, I over rooted her and glad I did because a lot did come out with her shampoo and combing right after. Sorry you are dealing with this I remember how very stressed out I was when this was happening.

1 Like

You look like you have a lot of mohair left. Use the other 2/3 that DO stay in and save the middle for another project

1 Like

Not sure how well any of it will stay in. Wondering what needle you use? Is it in a needle holder? Does the needle holder restrict the needle from going deeper?

1 Like

I use 42g single barb uncut. The needle go until the wide part. I think when I remove the needle, the hair follow.

@Reefbubbles yes it’s not fun !
I will look to find some other mohair. It’s not worth the stress.
Don’t know what to do with all the mohair I have left tho

2 Likes

I too have a lot of the hair left, I will never root with it again as well! No way lol! I tried to sell it off with full disclosure to no avail :grin:

2 Likes

I have that problem with the hair not going in all the way all the time. It’s getting better, but still not great. I don’t have any advice for you though.

1 Like

Try dampening either the ends of the hair or the vinyl. If the fibers open their cuticles, you can snag them better.

3 Likes

Dampening it does help.

2 Likes

I will try that ! Thank you !

1 Like