Need help getting a service dog-

Since this community has been nothing but kind to me- I hope it’s okay to post this. I am a 29 year old suffering from a chronic disease. It’s called Behcets. Due to my condition I have arthritis in my hips, knees, elbows, and hands. I have also nerapathy in my legs. This causes me to constantly be in pain, and to fall often. I want to be able to live my life to the fullest- as I have a 2 year old son. Please help me be able to welcome a service dog in my home. It would make a world of difference. Thank you for your love, support, and prayers. Please share.
Please tap to donate- gf.me/u/jwbtdy

I wish you the best. However there are several ways to get a service dog. Can I ask what you need the dog to do? I’m asking because I might be able to help you figure out the best way to go about it.

I need the dog to primarily be able to pull me up and support me. Help me to reach dropped items. Thank you for your response. I’m really new to this and don’t know the first thing about getting one, just the average cost to Gabe a puppy trained.

You can actually train your own. I’m in the process of training my own.

What you need to do is look for the right sized dog. I have a Newfoundland. You can also use a great Dane or similar sized dog.

A Great Pyrenees might work too. But you’d have to work with someone who knows how their mind works in order to train one…more like a 2 year old child than a dog…positive reinforcement instead of force!

Yep a great Pyr would work

And I second the positive reinforcement. I taught Negan to sit. Stay. Lay down. Speak and some other things like waiting patiently for me to unclip his leash using training tips and lots of treats.

I’m no Spring chicken so I made sure to train our Pyr to sit when she greeted anyone and also to come to me if I asked for help and let me use her as support to get up after sitting on the ground. I didn’t need the assistance, but the time could have come when I did and she was well able to do the job. Such caring and passively protective dogs too!

I am interested to know for my daughter. She has Autism, and is mostly non verbal I’ve been wanting to train a dog for her, but was not sure where to start. Do they have a website, or a place with information on this?. Can you get one of those things to let the dog into the stores with you, or even a way to certify one for school? She has a tendency to run a lot and having a dog to real her back that is attached to her would be wonderful. Or one to notify someone when she is in danger.

I’m sorry for the many questions, I have been interested in this for awhile.

Honestly in your case I would look into a professionally trained dog from a service dog training organization. Reason being those are very specific things you need the dog to do and that’s not something I believe a person without experience in dog training should do.

I’m able to train my own because I need him to do things like help me balance and keep me from falling. Much less advanced than what you need.
I wouldn’t feel comfortable encouraging you to train your own in that situation where a child is involved.

Google should have resources for service dog organizations that may be able to assist you. They vary by state.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I actually found a place online, I’ll put it here if anyone needs it.

https://www.rover.com/blog/become-service-dog/

I’ve actually found my dog! He is on hold for me until I can afford his fee. His name is Max, and he’s fully trained for my needs. :slight_smile:️ Attached are pictures. Thank you again for all the advice- and if you could, please share the go fund me link!

The look on his face in the first picture! :joy: He’s a cutie. Best of luck! :heart: