Neat tip on Attaching Magnets! How to hold them in place

I came up with an idea on how to hold a magnet in place while drying.
Make sure they are attracting polar or that they are too sides that connect.

It even helps with applying. I just add a glob of glue on the 1st magnet. Hold a second magnet on the spot where I want the bow or paci to go and drop the 1st magnet into the head. It automatically falls to the 2nd magnet. I leave both connected until glue dries.
Ignore the grainy cell phone picture. Here is Sienna’s and Aubrey’s pacis drying. I can leave them like this and walk away, no more holding in place or balancing heads to dry.

Miss Aubrey is so sad I always want to give her a big hug.

Thank you for posting. This will be very helpful.

Yep that’s what I do too! Pacis, hair flowers etc.

I generally make the magnet on the paci first so that it lines up with the lips nicely then when it’s dry, I hold it to the mouth and drop the magnet in the head to find the paci on its own, then i glue over the magnet inside the head when I glue the hair and eyes in.

— Begin quote from “OliviasMom”

I generally make the magnet on the paci first so that it lines up with the lips nicely then when it’s dry, I hold it to the mouth and drop the magnet in the head to find the paci on its own, then i glue over the magnet inside the head when I glue the hair and eyes in.

— End quote

Me too

That’s a cool tip. I’m going to make a paci I think, on big fat Paisley’s head! She’s unhappy with her hair, and that will shut her the heck up!

— Begin quote from “kathrynpgadomski”

— Begin quote from “OliviasMom”

— End quote

Me too

— End quote

Me 3… I always make all of the pacifiers with the same polarity so that they are interchangable… and then I put the one in the face to match the polarity of the pacifier… I just figured everyone used a magnet on the outside until the glue set… I use silicone to put the magnet into the face and cover it with a small circle of felt so that I am certain it won’t fall out of place… the felt sticks to the silicone around the edge of the magnet…

AND… me FOUR!

This is what I do too, same process.

Pia how do you tell that all the paci’s have the same polarity?
Dianne

— Begin quote from “Dianne”

Pia how do you tell that all the paci’s have the same polarity?
Dianne

— End quote

I keep one as my “sample” and the place the magnet in the head using that as my guide.

Sorry Pia I’m kinda slow but say you were making 6 paci’s at the same time. How would you know they were all the same polarity?
Dianne

It wasn’t until I was making the items for the RR swap that I realized that others might not use the same polarity as I did…So I had to send a few things out with the magnets not attached. Magnets should come marked with the sides marked so we can all make things interchangeable! Now I wonder when I send out something if it will work with their other babies…

But I do use the same trick to place the magnet. But I haven’t tried glueing on felt to make sure it doesn’t get knocked out of place.

Sorry Pia I’m kinda slow but say you were making 6 paci’s at the same time. How would you know they were all the same polarity?
Dianne

— End quote

I actually made a “template” by putting a magnet between two pieces of light weight cardboard and taping it shut… wrote “FACE” on the side that would match the baby’s face and then the magnet that sticks to the template gets put on the pacifier in that direction… here is a photo of the cardboard with a magnet stuck to the outside (there is one inside the cardboard that represents the face)… I also wish there was a way to make the polarity of the magnet from the factory…

Dianne

— End quote

All magnets are compatible, but there is no way to tell by looking at them. There is the side that attracts and a side the repels, and a 50/50 chance the next person won’t use the same side. If the are not sticking through the vinyl they are not strong enough. I start with the one inside because it’s the more expensive magnet. $8 a piece! After it’s securely glued, I use a smaller magnet for the paci. Just put it on your baby’s lips and then mark the outer side this will remind you which side to put the glue. I use a regular crayon, one is always around since I have a messy 3 year old, lol. Plus there is no worry of marking my finished doll.

Put your glue on the side with the crayon mark.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/Angelahk28f/Alice-20120625-00519.jpg

I have one paci that i use just for aligning the magnet inside the doll mouth, i make all mine so that every paci i make can go on any baby i make.

— Begin quote from “UnknownFemale”

I have one paci that i use just for aligning the magnet inside the doll mouth, i make all mine so that every paci i make can go on any baby i make.

— End quote

exactly…