Nail tips

Hi there,
how thin does the paint need to be for nail tips? I will be using BB nail tip color.
I have not done this before and I want them to look natural not like thge baby has had a french polish.
Thanks

I like to use BB’s thinner rather than the mineral spirits. It won’t take a whole lot…just thin it a little. Seems like it is about the consistency of white glue. Give it a try on one finger. It wipes off easily if it isn’t going on just right. Are you using a toothpick to apply it?

I use a tiny bit of the bb thin in jar and apply with one of the thin liner brushes.

I’ve tried both the script liner brush and a toothpick–more control with a toothpick. And a magnifying glass! LOL!

LittleMama, this is the same way i do mine.

I’ve also been looking at the nail guides they sell. They are little tiny paper guides for human nails when you are doing a salon style. They are a sheet of paper slips shaped like a crescent that keep the lines even and remove with no problems. The sticky they
use is just enough to hold it still (like a post-it). You can get them at walmart

I can’t seem to get the paint the right consistancy, it is either too thick or to thin.
I don’t have the genesis thinner right now so I have to thin with the odourless thinners.
When I thin it, it is too watery and goes on think lines and when I try to put it on without thinning it much, it does not look natural. I have tried the toothpick and liner brush.

Sharron,
I was having the same problem and that is why I went with the thinning medium. Do you happen to have any of the Look Alive? If so, that might be able to do the same thing.

I use Flesh08 straight from the jar with the tiny brush the has about 5 hairs in it.
Don’t like thick nail tips as they don’t look natural on babies.

A girl on another forum uses and nail pen like you draw pictures on your nails.

At one time, quite a while ago, there was a discussion on one of the forums about Sally Hansen’s french manicure white tip pen. There were some that swore that it was great but I haven’t used it myself. I usually use a brush because I can’t get a toothpick to look smooth. Just thought I would mention the Sally Hensen’s in case some of you brave souls want to try it. If so please let me know how it works.

— Begin quote from “CrafterJen”

Sharron,
I was having the same problem and that is why I went with the thinning medium. Do you happen to have any of the Look Alive? If so, that might be able to do the same thing.

— End quote

No I don’t have that at the moment but was thinking of ordering some, what is the differance between:
#5494 - “Look Alive” Thinning Medium and: #2562 - Genesis Thinning Medium ?
I won’t need to buy both will I?

— Begin quote from “Lunchlady”

I use Flesh08 straight from the jar with the tiny brush the has about 5 hairs in it.
Don’t like thick nail tips as they don’t look natural on babies.

— End quote

That is a good idea. I can see from your siggy picture that your nail tips look very natural.

I use a prisma pencil, bake and then seal. You might have to wet the tip of the pencil with water. It give a natural nail tip, not pure white. If you get the pencil where you don’t want it, just wet the tip of a q-tip and wipe away, they are not permanant until you bake and seal. Hope the helps, DEE

I forgot to add in my last post that you can do the same with nail moons. I also use the pencils for eyebrows i have more control, i bake them let cool down, and then i use matte varnish to seal them. DEE

That sounds so much easier, Dee! Can you please post a photo of one of these that you’ve done?

I wish i could, everytime i try to show pics here it doesn’t work. If you want you can go to my photobucket and look at a few, maybe you’ll find some with close up pics of nails, i also use the pencils for eyebrows. Here’s my photobucket name
crazydolllady.

I use BB’s nail tip paint. It does tend to be thin, but I let it dry and go over it a second time before baking. Once it’s dry, I take a toothpick and go along the edge to clean it up and give it a straight edge.

I use a gelly roll pen in white- very thin line and once baked it doesn’t come off. I use a prisma pencil in a beige to do the little half moons near the cuticle. I don’t think it looks too white

— Begin quote from “prettybabydolls”

I use a gelly roll pen in white- very thin line and once baked it doesn’t come off. I use a prisma pencil in a beige to do the little half moons near the cuticle. I don’t think it looks too white

— End quote

What is a gelly roll pen?