My first "big" clay baby head - opinions needed!

Hi!

This is my latest “project”. There were two other heads before this one, but I didin’t get to bake them. Something was *really *wrong with them LOL.
Okay, so I know this one isn’t exactly kit material , or even good. But, it’s the best one so far, I need honest opinions on the things I should work on for my future little “monsters”.

• I know that the top of the head is smaller/narrower than it should be. It looked better before, but it got flat with the final touch ups.
  • I know that the ears should be defined better
  • The nose should be bigger and “prettier”
  • The neck part should probably be thicker
  • The chin shouldn’t be so low
  • The back of the head should be wider and "fatter
  • The ears should be similar, they’re too different

I do like the lips and the expression, even if the eyes are a little off. I recycled them from an old Berjusa or Nines doll I had. I was afraid they would melt or something, but they didn’t - phew.

So, tell me more! Honestly. I won’t get offended, I promise What else to work on? Is there a potential here or should I just give it up?

Before baking:

Post baking:

Thanks for watching,

Martina

— Begin quote from “robincarrol”

Great job! As a collector to me the brow ridge is too harsh. It should be softer and not so prominent. With the brow ridge the way it is your head doesn’t look babyish. I can’t wait to see this one all finished.

— End quote

Thanks! I knew there was something off there, too, just didn’t know the exact phrase. Hopefully, I’ll manage to soften that up with sanding

I think you are doing great!! I agree with eyebrow comment, and the main other thing is the right side of the nose could be built up a little more and I think that would help with the eyes looking more symmetrical. Then again I really don’t know what I am talking about!! LOL The lips look good!!! KEEP GOING!! I am excited to see him or her all done looks to me like you are going to be good at it!!

— Begin quote from “danielle32320”

I think you are doing great!! I agree with eyebrow comment, and the main other thing is the right side of the nose could be built up a little more and I think that would help with the eyes looking more symmetrical. Then again I really don’t know what I am talking about!! LOL The lips look good!!! KEEP GOING!! I am excited to see him or her all done looks to me like you are going to be good at it!!

— End quote

Thanks! I love the lips, too, and hate the nose LOL

I think you got a good handle on what to do next time. I commend you for being able to sculpt at all. This baby reminds me of the late Micheal Jackson. I think it is the nose and mouth that makes me think of him.

Thanks!

I can’t wait to start another one! Actually, I do have a mini baby to finish (only need to make the legs) and one head with the closed eyes… but I need to redo the complete face and expression, only the head form looks okay on that one.

The tip for the lips will be very helpful in the future, thank you Katy!

Michael Jackson? Wow, you’re right, anjsmiles. Now I see some small resemblance, too!

— Begin quote from “mrsjencait”

Hopefully this makes sense! If the eyebrows are like \ / they are harsh but if you neutralize them then put the outside corners / \ a little dipped down it will show a softer look hope this made any sense and you at doing great!

— End quote

Yes, it does
I need to go shopping for sanding papers to fix that. I’m all out