My first baby to show you

Ive made near 10 reborns but never felt that any were worthy of showing you here. However, you have helped my work progress so tremendously that I felt I must show this one to you to thak-you for all your help and advice I read on this board. So here she is…she began as Kyle sculpt.

What an amazing job on her hair painting!!! Good for you!!

The ladies here are great! it’s awesome to be able to get help here when you need it…Congrats on your first showing :0)

Thanks…I know that most of you artists that display pics on here can pick her details apart with things I did wrong but I was pleased considering how little practice Ive had…

Your baby looks adorable, especially if you are happy with her! Have you given her a name yet?

And don’t ever hesitate to post because everyone started at the beginning!!! We all learn at a different pace but each of us has taken steps along the way to get better with each baby. I think you’ll find the ladies here are helpful in teaching and advising on techniques when asked so don’t be afraid to post new photos.

We all started just like you did; never be afraid to show pics…there are so many ladies here who give great advice! We’re glad you’re here with us.

At least you have the courage to try painting hair. I’m not that brave yet. I’m still learning too and sometimes wonder if I should post but it gives you ideas on how to do the next one better. You are coming along great. I’ve stripped paint off of several so far and started over so don’t think we do it any easier than you are!

I am truly amazed that you are able to paint the hair already! I still have to talk my way through painting the little toe and finger nails! I have a question for all you hair painters out there: is the hair really painted with paint, or with using the Prima Pencils? Another artist had a “how to” link for Nicole Russell on Facebook, she has a wonderful picture tutorial BTW, and her hair is “painted” with the pencils. I would be much more apt to try her system than wielding a paint brush. I am just so interested and collect lots of info first.
Blessings,
Bonnie

Actually I think that my painted hair looks sooo much better than my rooting. I always thought of painting hair as taking the easy way out because to me rooting is much more complicated and much less enjoyable. However, I love drawing and painting in general but do not really enjoy sewing that much. I did use prisma pencil on this one. I think that you can call it painting because the pencil are actually oil pencils and not really the typical coloring pencils. I am experimenting with the hair paint brushes from real effects. I also prefer to do the painted hair because every time that I get my rooted hair in just the perfect and cute style…I move the doll and it messes up!!! Drives me crazy and I worry what the doll hair will like after shipping when I sell on ebay.

— Begin quote from “kmomteach”

Actually I think that my painted hair looks sooo much better than my rooting. I always thought of painting hair as taking the easy way out because to me rooting is much more complicated and much less enjoyable. However, I love drawing and painting in general but do not really enjoy sewing that much. I did use prisma pencil on this one. I think that you can call it painting because the pencil are actually oil pencils and not really the typical coloring pencils. I am experimenting with the hair paint brushes from real effects. I also prefer to do the painted hair because every time that I get my rooted hair in just the perfect and cute style…I move the doll and it messes up!!! Drives me crazy and I worry what the doll hair will like after shipping when I sell on ebay.

— End quote

My prisma pencils are watercolor pencils… do they make “oil” pencils too? How are they labeled?

Hi just pulled out my pencils and it doesn’t say “oil” anywhere on them. Next stop, google! From my quickie search, the PrismaColor pencils ARE oil pencils:
“As mentioned above, the key differences between regular colored pencils and Prismas, are A - they’re brightness, and B - the inclusion of oil in the leads”. One thing I have learned about them from others, for use in eyebrows, is that you need the matte varnish, baked, so they adhere. Which brings me to another tip I learned, I now will apply the matte varnish over the base coat before I really get down to business. I think BB should make a quart size of the matte varnish just for me!

I don’t like rooting mostly because of the mohair, (the process also takes too long and I don’t feel the time and cost is ever regained) and I purchase from the best! It is all silky and shiny, but the time I finish rooting, it has lost that quality, regardless of following all the tip about protecting the rooting hair, misting in the process, etc. The painted hair I have been seeing lately is a wonderful rival to mohair, as it doesn’t look like bed head when removing a bonnet, and it looks like the real deal! I am so utterly impressed with those who “paint” the hair and will give it a go, on a test leg!

Blessings,
Bonnie

— Begin quote from “Windeec”

Hi just pulled out my pencils and it doesn’t say “oil” anywhere on them. Next stop, google! From my quickie search, the PrismaColor pencils ARE oil pencils:
“As mentioned above, the key differences between regular colored pencils and Prismas, are A - they’re brightness, and B - the inclusion of oil in the leads”. One thing I have learned about them from others, for use in eyebrows, is that you need the matte varnish, baked, so they adhere. Which brings me to another tip I learned, I now will apply the matte varnish over the base coat before I really get down to business. I think BB should make a quart size of the matte varnish just for me!

I don’t like rooting mostly because of the mohair, (the process also takes too long and I don’t feel the time and cost is ever regained) and I purchase from the best! It is all silky and shiny, but the time I finish rooting, it has lost that quality, regardless of following all the tip about protecting the rooting hair, misting in the process, etc. The painted hair I have been seeing lately is a wonderful rival to mohair, as it doesn’t look like bed head when removing a bonnet, and it looks like the real deal! I am so utterly impressed with those who “paint” the hair and will give it a go, on a test leg!

Blessings,
Bonnie

— End quote

I use a layer of “thinning medium” so that the pencil will adhere and then gently pat the completed brow layer with the “thinning medium” prior to heat setting the layer… That works to set the paint…

— Begin quote from “pia”

— Begin quote from “kmomteach”

— End quote

My prisma pencils are watercolor pencils… do they make “oil” pencils too? How are they labeled?

— End quote

I dont use the watercolor pencils…there are some that are not watercolor pencils. You can also get Verithin which makes an even thinner mark for thin strokes of hair.