My Dollar Tree finds for weighting

Not sure if anyone else will find this useful but thought I’d share just in case. While at the Dollar Tree looking for Halloween cards I stumbled onto a sock section. For $1 they have thick white ankle socks. I picked up a couple pairs as well as a pack of 100 coated elastic hairties. I am using them to hold my poly pellets for inside the body. Thought it was pretty cheap & sturdier than a stocking/nylon. Here’s a pic of one.

9 Likes

Nice find. I like Dollar Tree.

2 Likes

Great idea @Shara thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I love and use Dollar Tree thick black trouser socks, they come in set of 2, thus 25c per one sock.

5 Likes

Cool! Thanks

1 Like

That’s an even better deal @YelenaRey!!!

1 Like

Great idea thank you so much for sharing

1 Like

I think I would be a little concerned about using a ‘rubber band’ type tie as they will give out down the road (elastic things always do) and you might wind up with loose weighting beads in the body. Just a thought.

2 Likes

I would make sure none of the black sock touches any vinyl. I know when they used to open the noses and back it with dark fabric it would bleed into the vinyl and look like bruising around the face later on. It leached through the inside and was visible on the outside.
Personally I use white, tan or pink tights or the tan/brown stockings from BB.

1 Like

Thank you, Jenni. I always make sure that black sock surrounded by polyfil and not touches head’s vinyl.

1 Like

That’s a great idea. Do the glass beads leak through at all? I don’t want to rain on your parade, but I’m not sure the elastic hair ties are the best option for holding them shut. The elastics dry out and deteriorate over time. Maybe string or a running stitch around the top would hold up better long term.

1 Like

I agree, Id sew it closed :wink:

Awesome and they are soft! Do fine beads leak through the weave?

1 Like

They are super soft, as for the fine beads I’m not sure, I’ve only used poly pellets, which are expensive so I plan on getting some fine glass ones from Harbor Freight soon! The poly pellets are perfect in the sock though. And the hair ties are fabric coated & closed with small metal clasps. So even if the inner elastic wears out over time the fabric & clasp still hold well if you make a tight closure. :blush: