Movie Inspired Dolls. - Copyright issues?

I was thinking of making a movie inspired doll. I know alot of people make them to sale. Has anyone heard of anyone having copyright issues?

Or is the fact it is listed as “inspired by” get one off the hook?

I don’t know anything about copyrights, but I have to tell you I LOVE the little one in your siggy!!! She is GORGEOUS!!!

Carry on…someone smarter than I am will come along and answer your question.

I know on Bonnie Brown’s facebook page one time she had sculpted a Mary Kate and Ashely baby that looked like them in their fullhouse days. She did an amazing job on her too, but she only had her up for a few hours and she took her down and said she was going to email them and see if she could get permission. I have not saw her again or heard anything about it so I do not know what happened with it!
I don’t know if this helps in any way just thought I would share it with you!

I made a Bride Of Chucky Doll…

And honestly, I am not concerned about copyright since I have no intention of making another. I am pretty sure that if they are done in a “one time” sort of way, then, could you really get in trouble? I mean, sculpting and mass producing a kit based on someone else’s work would be something that could get you into trouble…but otherwise I really don’t think so…

Perhaps speak to a law professional about it?

I see all these “Twilight” dolls and wonder why no one has said anything… knock on wood.

I talked to a couple attorneys, and got some advice.

Essentially, it would be safe to do a generic Cinderella doll but I could be held liable for a Disney Cinderella doll or a “Cinderella doll” that looks just like Disney’s.

— Begin quote from “Karen in Florida”

I don’t know anything about copyrights, but I have to tell you I LOVE the little one in your siggy!!! She is GORGEOUS!!!

Carry on…someone smarter than I am will come along and answer your question.

— End quote

Thanks. I’ve been making custom “look-a-like” dolls of this beautiful little girl. I’m making another older version of the same girl using Chenoa, Jannie de Lange. So excited!!

1 Like