Mottling preferences

I agree that a lack of mottling on a reborn can make it look more flat. That being said, I am still baffled how artists like Jackie K, Alexa Calvo, and Bianca Franke are able to have a far less noticeable mottle and yet still have so much real skin depth (via shading, I suppose) and overall realism. Their mottling doesn’t stand out as much as mine, and is smoother, more real. How do they do it? What kinds of brushes and sponges do they use? It amazes me.

2 Likes

@InfantInspirations a million times YESSSSSS!!! I think that’s why I was doubting myself so much with my noticeable mottle!!! I look at those professional babies then look at mine & am stumped. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I love mottling on all reborns. Peaches and cream skin tones, on reborn dolls, is pretty but is not my preference. I wouldn’t buy a doll that didn’t have noticeable mottling. Some real babies have a lot of mottling and some don’t but I think it gives reborns the depth needed to make them come to life. Otherwise they just look “dolly” to me…no matter how beautifully they are painted.

4 Likes

@Sony72 yes! I agree! I also feel that without it it’s a quick way to make them. My mottling layers take a lot of time & effort!

1 Like

I have one of Bianca’s babies and to me it looks like it only has one pinkish mottling layer, that’s it. Her creasing isn’t very noticeable either. The blushing and nails are well done.

3 Likes

Wow @quiltsabunch, very interesting! I sometimes wonder if the professionals do such good photography that they look better than they really are. I mean I know they’re great - but photos/lighting/props etc can make a huge difference…

5 Likes

Agreed

2 Likes

There is another artist on here who received a doll from a prototype artist and said they were surprised by how heavily painted it was - as in too thick of paint, dark creases, etc. But in all her photos her dolls look amazing.

5 Likes

@Sony72 yes that’s EXACTLY what I’m talking about. They look so beautiful & perfect in photos, yet in real life they may not be as perfect as we imagine them to be! And I know for most of us here newer artist or seasoned, we hold ourselves to their standards & are so hard on our own work. I strive to not have paint build up/thick looking paint or creases, good blending, appropriate blushing etc. But until we all invest in professional pics (just joking, I’ll be using my phone) ours may be as good but not show as well…

1 Like

I have seen some well known Artists work at ROSE and have been surprised that (although very nice) not as good as they looked in pictures. Do they just have the ability to take Awesome photos or what? Or are some photos ‘doctored’? Just wondering. I think we all try to match the beautiful workmanship of prototype artists which is probably a good thing cause it will make us better artists, right?!

5 Likes

Agree 100% with your thinking @lynn! It has to be a combination of photography skills, lighting, filters & props. And yes, it will definitely make us better!

2 Likes

It’s good to know that some of us think alike!!

2 Likes

You know what they say @lynn - great minds think alike! :grin:

1 Like

I think it’s like a modeling shoot. Sometimes the models have so much makeup on that they would look terrible in person… but in the pictures, they look gorgeous and natural.

4 Likes

@Dollymommas YESSSSSS!!! Exactly my thoughts. But it makes us strive for greatness, so we keep going I guess!!! :blush:

4 Likes

This is what I was thinking, as we strive to be as good as their photos, we may even be excelling past their level and not even realize it.

5 Likes

@PutABonnetOnIt YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

2 Likes

Not a mottling fan for all babies as in real life not all people have mottle. My children did not have any but had lots of visible veins with blotchy skin. Also different colors of skin from one place on the body to another. As well as purplish hands. But - you have to do what the customers want. Just like manicured hands some want it some don’t.

2 Likes

I don’t do mottling because real babies have mottling, I do it because it gives depth to a flat surface. Its really the only way to make a vinyl doll look as though it has real skin. The only time you really dont need mottling is if you are doing a rich brown ethnic baby. I do it anyway…out of habit :wink:

2 Likes

Yep, ditto

1 Like