Mottling preferences

Seems like my mottling is always darker/more prominent than I intend it to be. Do people prefer seeing it? Or do peolpe like more of a peaches and cream complexion? Or do you decide on mottling by the kit, the size, etc?

9 Likes

The mottling looks totally fine, not too much at all! Add some washes and it’ll blend better and not loo as harsh. I like a lot of mottling, for an ultra newborn look. If it helps, here’s a pic of a 2 week old baby. See how much mottling he has? Your baby definitely doesn’t have too much!

11 Likes

Thank you @MilosMeadows! Great reference pic. I just got nervous, I see so many post pics of pretty babies but I can’t see mottling on them. So I worried maybe I am overdoing it io need to skip it. I do have more washes to do so that will help.

3 Likes

Totally makes sense! Mottling is hard to capture on camera usually, so it doesn’t tend to show up in pics as easily.

2 Likes

For reference, this is the same baby taken on the same day. His mottling is slightly visible but not much unless you’re really looking for it. I can capture mottling well if that’s what I’m focusing on in the image but otherwise it blends with his skin tone.

11 Likes

Yes! I see what you mean. I may be zoning in on my mottling rather than looking at the baby & skin as a whole. Another great reference pic!

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve been trying to find good ones that don’t show the babe’s face too much, just for his privacy even though I do have permission to share. Keep in mind that this is a super small 2 week old. He weighs 6lbs 11oz at 3 weeks so he’s a small little bean. Your baby is older so might have slightly less visible mottling, or could have the same amount. Either is fine. If you’re not happy with skin tone later, you may want to try to readjust but it’s totally normal for me to think I’ve gone too far and realize after that it was the right amount once other layers are on top.

1 Like

Thank you so much! You made me feel a lot more confident. I guess I needed a reminder that every baby has different skin!

2 Likes

I like your mottling, I like to see it, but not too harsh. I feel it helps overcome the dolly look a sculpt can try and keep.

2 Likes

That’s what I am always thinking @PutABonnetOnIt! I’m mottling & saying look alive! :grimacing:

1 Like

I like mottling and yours seem perfect.

1 Like

@Leabelle you made my day!!! :blush:

1 Like

My preferences for mottling are more showy than others. I love noticeable creasing too. Even though I love the look of a soft peaches and cream complexion that other artists achieve, it’s not for me, personally. Just the way I paint and see they way I want my dolls and always, at least with me, the camera and computer screen washes them out. Also, when I’m more heavy on the mottling my dolls tend sell faster. The one doll I did paint very lightly, she loved him and within days emailed me saying he’s too pale and doesn’t have the paint the rest of her dolls had. I was done after that, painting lightly lol Just personal preference and what works for you and your audience.

4 Likes

@Vanniek wow, great take on it! Thanks for taking the time to explain. I guess I’m in the showy mottle camp too!!!

2 Likes

You are so welcome. Don’t be surprised when more skin layers mute your mottling more than you like lol.
I usually need to go over my dolls again before they are varnished.:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I love mottling, I always do my babies with noticable mottling, I just love the look of it.

3 Likes

Good!!! Thank you @Rosa05!!!

I absolutely love mottling, especially for all the babies I would love to have, they all seem to have mottling that shows. Granted if it was a older baby, maybe not as profound, but for a newborn? I love mottling plus the reds on the hands and feet!

1 Like

Thank you @SouthernLullabies! I like it too. Adds lots of realism. Hoping that’s what I end up with!

I love mottiling! I actually would like to see it on the bigger kits a friend of mine has a 3 year old daughter and she still to this day has quite a bit of mottiling. Before I met her mom I always thought that was a newborn thing. Boy was I wrong!:joy:

1 Like