Matte Varnish Trouble

Is it just me, or do you sometimes have trouble with matte varnish? I did a doll a couple months back, and I used some matte varnish that was quite liquid-y. I applied it, and the varnish seemed to remove the paint in some areas. Now I am doing my Celeste, and I don’t want the same thing to happen to her if I apply the varnish. Is there something I can do to prevent that from happening?
Any suggestions are appreciated! :smile:

I never push my varnish around on the doll when I’m using it as a sealer. I tap it on very thinly with a sponge. But if you’re using GHSP and the paint is coming off, it might not be baked hot enough or long enough. Check your oven temperature and check the paint with a Q-tip to be sure it is cured before sealing it.

2 Likes

Willow, Ive never had a problem with the matte varnish taking off the paint. How are you applying it? I’m with Helen and thinking maybe the paint wasn’t fully set.

1 Like

I bake the paint at a higher temperature between very thin layers, but I do pounce the sponge firmly on the doll when I apply the varnish. Should I apply the varnish differently?

I paint on thin layers with a small fan brush. I then pounce the dickens out of it with a kombuka brush. A stipling brush can be used instead.

3 Likes

What is a kombuka brush???

1 Like

Sounds like a dance to me. LOL :dancer:

2 Likes

My mistake… a Kabuki brush (a cosmetic brush).

LOL, @otterbaby2!

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I didn’t want to have to learn a new dance at my age. :wink:

5 Likes

I thought it had something to do with that drink Kombucha or whatever it is…

This brush, I have, although I didn’t know it was a Kabuki brush. I’ve learned my new factoid for the day.

5 Likes

[quote=“honojane, post:10, topic:25788”]
I’ve learned my new factoid for the day.
[/quote]It’s never a good day unless you learn something. Personally, I like the idea of a drink called Kombucha. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I make my own Kombucha tea and drink it every day! LOVE it!!!

2 Likes

My daughter made it and she loved it but I’m iffy about it. I did taste it but didn’t know if I liked it. Unlike soda, it’s pretty good for you I guess.

Yes, I drink it for the health benefits. :smile:

Share your recipe, Amy, please? (You can post a new topic in off topic.) Also, what are the health benefits. I’d ask my daughter but she’s living in Colorado now. I suppose I could just look on the internet, but I’d rather ask my friend Amy! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Bare minerals sells a nice brush!

1 Like

Aha! I have one of those brushes. I don’t use it anymore, so maybe I could wash it up nicely and use it for dollies!

2 Likes

I’ll put that on my “To do” list, Helen. :slight_smile:

2 Likes