Matte medium question Plus an awesome find!

Has anyone used daler rowney simply acrylic Matt medium? Is it flexible? I use luminaire air dry acrylics and I’m trying to find a varnish and or medium that will protect and keep my paint on…also found a 24 pack of prismacolor pencils at walmart for 5 dollars…I snatched those babies up fast :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I use air dry as well and my favorite varnish is DecoArt Soft Touch Varnish with Blue label. It’s soft to the touch and very flexible
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Media-Varnish-4Oz-Soft-Touch/38376931?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1453&adid=22222222228026366860&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=52482681551&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-84045942431&wl5=9025293&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112550049&wl11=online&wl12=38376931&wl13=&veh=sem

I could be wrong but, I think you need premier prismacolor pencils and not the ones that say scholar :thinking: I’m not 100% certain though… Maybe @AmyR777 or @anjsmiles will know…

3 Likes

Thank you ! I was using folk art glass and tile, then I read its not flexible and shouldn’t be used on the dolls because it will cause cracking …sure enough my paint job didnt last through rooting , She/he looks like she/he has the worst case of dandruff I’ve ever seen, good thing she’s/he’s my keeper… :slight_smile: again thank you … I’ll give it a try

2 Likes

I use Americana Decor Soft Touch Varnish (lavender label, also made by DecoArt). It is flexible and leaves a very soft, smooth finish.
I used Luminaire when I first discovered them. I liked the instructions and the colors. I followed the instructions to the letter BUT the paints did not stay on even after curing for 3 weeks. I could not even get a response from their customer service. I had to strip and re do a toddler whose face came off during rooting. I was not a happy camper. I threw those paints away and wouldn’t recommend them to anyone.
If the paint isn’t properly adhered to the vinyl it’s going to come off even if it’s sealed.

5 Likes

Seriously, I have used Luminaire exclusively for over a year. It has been a dream come true. I can paint a baby in half the time and it does not come off no matter what I do. I made my 7 year old daughter a baby with it to test it and she still looks the same after a year. I have been contemplating making a tutorial for Luminaire and doing a test at the end of the video just to show people how to remove paint really is. I’m not sure what happened for you. Did you use the final prep first because that is vital to the paint staying on. Also you have to just use a very little bit of the final prep if you overdo it to where the baby is shiny then it’s too much. Here’s an example of a baby I painted with Luminaire air dry paint.

The thing I like about Luminaire is that the premixed colors help you to get unbelievable skin tones.

8 Likes

I’ve never had a problem with the glass tile medium. I think when you mix it thick cracking occurs. But I don’t use luminaries paints so I can’t say.

1 Like

Yes!!! There’s a big difference!

1 Like

I’ve always used air dry paints and I also like how fast I can complete a baby. With the Luminaire I did everything exactly according to the instructions and the paint still came off. I’m glad they’re working for you. I won’t ever use them again. I now use Liquitex Professional Soft Body paints and I love them.

1 Like

these are the ones I found for five dollars!

4 Likes

Awesome find! :blush:

1 Like

I think it was too thick! I just ordered the sealer and preps from luminaire… I should have just ordered them to begin with!

I am working on a max kit right now and hes turning out kinda sticky or tacky… Im letting him sit but hes still tacky… I think my berry blush tone was too thick or just too much … Have you ever had that happen? If I let him set a few more days should it work itself out? Beautiful baby, Truly gorgeous skin tones! I think all of us newbies using luminaire could benefit from a tutorial… Ive only came across one and that what I use… I am more of a visual learner…

Same here, I have had no problems with paint coming off and I do love how easy it is to use . And I have not always used a sealer or prep on the kit before painting .

1 Like

One time i used too much slow dry and was mixing and matching products ( can’t remember which ones) and my kit was still sticky for days. I had to strip.

Im not using anything but distilled water … the weather has been all over the place this week so I just turned on my dehumidifier hopefully that’ll help…

I think it just tends to have a tacky feel to it. Honestly I do not wait 3 days, sometimes I seal it the very next day. I usually take a hairdryee to it and heat it up just enough to heat set it. I used to airbrush and most liquid latex paints do better with heat, just don’t over do it. I use Liquitex matte gel in my first layer as well and also in my mottling to help keep my pattern shape. Then it blot it out to blend . Hard to explain. I will try to find the tutorial I used and post a link. I seal with Glass and Tile medium. It works great for me but everyone has their own method. As far as you Berry Blush tone, thin it with water.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thank you so much…I am sooo new to all of this and still trying to find what works best for me and the babies…

1 Like

I use glass and tile medium straight but my sister mixes hers 50/50 with water then pounce on thin but don’t overwork or it will be rough.

1 Like

Yeah it is really gritty ! …

1 Like