Matte kit

I have almost finished my first baby and now I have painted with varnish, but it shines. even if it is matte varnish. what can i do about it

2 Likes

You could mix a bit of cornstarch into the varnish.

2 Likes

Thank you :blush:

But what do you use powder for then?

Are you using Genesis or air dry varnish?

1 Like

I use airdry

I use heat set paint, but use Americana Soft Touch air dry varnish and recommend it to everyone, so forgive me if I already sent it to you before.
Here is @anjsmiles recipe. It never left my babies shiny.

20 drops distilled water
1/4 tsp cornstarch (teaspoon)
1 level plastic spoon of soft touch varnish
Dissolve cornstarch in water. Add soft touch varnish and mix well.
Apply with a cosmetic sponge. Let it dry. Reapply the second layer if so desired.

2 Likes

Oh thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::pray:t2::pray:t2:. How much is the plastic spoon?

1 Like

I use baking measuring teaspoon for varnish (mix it well in a jar first) and 1/4 measuring spoon for cornstarch.

3 Likes

What do artists use powder for?

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Please post how it will turned out for you and show us your completed baby :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will :ok_hand:t2::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Do you have a suggestion for a good Soft touch varnish? A brand, a picture ect.

1 Like

'Americana Soft Touch Varnish ’ is exact name of it. Look at this thread and you will see the pictures of it.
I bought my at Hobby Lobby.

2 Likes

make sure you stir your matte varnish, sometimes it gets shiny when it settles. Add another think layer after you stir and bake. 265 for 7 minutes and see what you get.

1 Like

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: - but I use airdry paint :woman_shrugging:t2:

When artists say they are using powders, it is usually to add color. It is nice to use in the creases and as blushing/ shading. Some use pan pastels that can be bought at art stores. I use baby fx powders but they have been discontinued. If you click on the spyglass in the corner of your screen you can enter key words and it will pull up lots of info from the forum.

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

I’m now finished my first baby. A bit shiny - I know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations on finishing your first! He is adorable. Did you started on your second one? Who will it be?
Be careful with the dark trim on baby clothes. It can stain vinyl.

1 Like